Conservatory pad drying time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My new 4m x 4m conservatory is generating huge amounts of internal condensation. From ground up, the base is: plastic sheet, Recticel insulation, about 3 or 4 inches of concrete (inc metal reinforcement grill), about 2 or 3 inches of screed, half an inch of high density insulating foam, underfloor heating element, and finally about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of levelling compound. The base has been down since early September (3 months) but windows are still totally fogged and condensation is dripping from every internal metal part. When can I safely tile the floor? Will a dehumidifier help please? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
How is the ventilation in the area...remember as well the last few months have seen a lot of rain. a dehumidifyer will help. but remember at this time of year the air is damp as well.

Who fitted the base/ conservatory ask thier advise. Is there any other reason for so much damp..it seems very strange. Have you had any heating in the room.

Hi jm2000. Thanks for your reply. I have been using a dehumidifyer continuously for the last 5 days, and the difference has been huge. My wife says she has been emptying the collection trough three or four times a day. All window condensation has gone, even on v. cold mornings. A newspaper left on the ground for first couple of days left a damp patch, suggesting rapid draw-up from the lower pad. Surface (levelling compund) is now much paler, and some minor crazing is evident, indicating much deeper drying, hopefully. I'm going to tile over now. Cheers.

sounds like you got a lot of water between the poly sheet and the self level, was it exposed for a long time? i would leave the tiling a bit longer and keep the dehumidifyer on a bit longer ,you will be surprised how much they suck out

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it a while longer - at least until the humidifier is producing a smaller amount of water. If you put a square metre or so of plastic down on top of it and turn on the underfloor heating, it will give you an idea of how much moisture there is to still be drawn out.

test it for damp with a damp meter.then you know for sure

About a month per 25mm of masonry to fully stabilise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back