concrete pads in wet ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know it is late now that it is done, but I still need some opinions on what I did and what to expect from it in future.

I am putting up DIY conservatory and I was suppose to make 5 concrete pads for base with dimensions 450x450mm and 450mm deep. I did just that, but what I started to be warried about is that I was pouring the concrete in very vet ground. Actually in two of the holes there was water about 2-3 inch deep which accumulated from soil around. I poured the concrete right in without taking the water out. The water was pushed out by the concrete and all looks good. But what I need to know - can the pads start to sink deeper after I put the conservatory up because it is durectly in soil? The soil was hard enough andfelt pretty compressed when I was digging.

What do you think?

Thanks for info...

Sponsored Links
I am putting up DIY conservatory and I was suppose to make 5 concrete pads for base with dimensions 450x450mm and 450mm deep.........What do you think?
Sorry but my interest waned a little when I read the five concrete pad thing.

Why have you not built a strip foundation particularly in view of the soft ground?

As for the bearing capacity of your ground - who knows? If you have dug down to a suitable depth i.e. removed all fertile stuff and have virgin, sub soil at say 700mm down then I don't see too much of a problem.

However, digging individual pads is more likely to yield evasive results.

It is for durabase, steel base, not standard brick walls. And it only requires 5 pads for the 'legs' of the steel base. It is approved way of building the conservatory base by approppriate authorities. I went for this option as it saves time and money. I hope I will have no problems with it...

Sponsored Links
I dug down to 450mm as was described by the base supplier and the soil was very solid, hard to dig at that depth already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back