Conservatory Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a few questions regarding the addition of a conservatory to oour house. I'm sure they're fairly basic questions but I would like to know the answers before I get someone in.

I'm on a bit of a budget so will be trying to do the job as cheap as possible. So if I can do anything to make it easier/quicker by removing some of the problem parts or planning ahead then I would like to do that.

1st Question:

My walls are cavity walls it's a late 1970's house (they've not got cavity wall insulation) - Where the conservatory is going will cover two vents which I presume are there for the cavity wall. One is above the other - they're both quite close together. Does it mater if the conservatory goes over these?

2nd Question:

There is the boiler vent on one wall, it has a solid metal wind shield around it, obviously some heat comes out of this - how close can the conservatory come to it?

3rd Question:

The conservatory will be going across the kitchen window. The kitchen sink is in the normal place behind the window so the waste from the kitchen sink comes out into a drain right outside the window. This would obviously then be inside the conservatory - What is the normal way of dealing with this?

4th Question:

There is another drain which is on the other end of the wall to the previous one, this is for the down pipe for the guttering. I'm having the guttering replaced in the next couple of weeks and was going to ask for the downpipe to me moved around the corner - is moving the drain just round the corner and easy job - should I get that done at the same time ready?

5th Question:

Currently there is a step on the way out of the house. Is it normal to build the conservatory floor at the same height as the house? Or would you have it lower - if it is the same height does it mater that it will go over the DPC of the house? - I presume it won't matter due to it having it's own DPC?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back