Conservatory Roof Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I have an issue with an old conservatory roof panel, the top part of the unit has slipped down leaving a gap at the top allowing dirt/debris to get inside. I am aware that if the whole panel slips you can push it back up/secure but in this case its just the top sheet of glass, the bottom part of the unit is still in place (its held secure as it buts up against a wood frame).

Is it possible to lift of the top sheet of glass, clean underneath and replace? Or is this somehow bonded together as a complete unit? Do I need to replace the whole thing?

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
No expert but I would have assumed that the unit was a DG unit?

However, If it isn't, you could consider....

Securing (somehow) the sheets either side so that when you loosen the capping rails they don't turn into guillotine blades.
Then secure the bottom sheet and buy/hire a glass suction shifter to fit to the top sheet.

Then move it up, retighten the clamps and pray.

Glass can be really heavy and move quickly so holding it firmly in place and having control of anything loose is important.

Yes I think its at least a DG unit, or I also thought it may be a DG unit with an extra single pane on top (the one that slipped) - not totally sure.

Yes I think its at least a DG unit, or I also thought it may be a DG unit with an extra single pane on top (the one that slipped) - not totally sure.
It is a stepped double glazed unit

And it's well and truly broken down....not surprising given the slippage.

It needs replacing

Sponsored Links
Can't make out if its single or a double glazed unit, if single it just needs pushing up and anti slip brackets fitting at the ends of the rafters but without knowing the make of roof you'd have to cobble something up. If its a double glazed unit then the outer pane has come away from the spacer bar and has slipped quite possibly because there IS an anti slip bracket fitted but only the inner pane is resting on it allowing the top one to slide, if it was a stepped unit to start with it would probably explain why the inner pane was the only one being supported with an anti slip, if its a unit then it need a new one

Definetly a stepped unit, the silver ' tape ' is a big give away as it protects the sealant from the sun, so as has been stated it will be a new sealed unit I'm afraid, as even if you could release the tops of the roof bars and push it back up ( it would always be misty and full of crude ), then it will slip again , because as has already been mentioned , the top pane is not actually supported on an anti slip bracket.
Glass seperating like this is quite common in Double glazed units that have been broken down for many years , see it all the time but usually they are still haeld to gether by beads and upvc frames loL!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back