Conservatory too hot - lots of options help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to reduce the summer time temperature in my Edwardian Conservatory. There appear to be lots of solutions but I am struggling to find reviews to determine the best/best value option.
My conservatory is 5.5 meters x 4 meters with a standard 25mm poly carbonate roof.

The summer temp is unbearable - and it is damaging items that I keep in the conservatory. I want to keep the temp below 90 degrees at all times.

The first option I looked at were the various companies who insulate the inside of your existing roof and then board over before skimming. This sounds a reasonable approach but my current roof is 10 years old and looking tired. I figured it might not be worth spending a couple of thousand on this only to have the outer roof fail because it is reaching the end of its life. That aside - anyone tried this approach - any views?

The second option was the Guardian roof system. This replaces your roof with a light weight solid roof. This looks an good option but very expensive - I have had quotes between 7.5K and 12k! I don't want to spend this kind of money unless I know that it's a great option - anyone actually had this fitted? Is it worth that cost? I like the fact that it should reduce rain noise and keep the noise from stereo annoying the neighbours.

The third option to to buy solar control inserts (e.g. Polycool) and insert them into the existing roof. These are still quite expensive and the cost for my sized conservatory will be nearly £1,000 just for the inserts. Anyone able to comment on just how effective they are?

I am also looking at a fourth option - a new conservatory roof using 35mm Corotherm Heatguard Fivewall Polycarbonate. I can get a new roof with heatguard installed for around 2.5K. This is actually sounding like the best value but again - anyone able to comment on effective these are? Will they keep my room below 90 degrees? Are they are good as solar inserts? If you were buidling a polcarb roof from scratch are these the most effective product you can choose?

Much appreciate your views/help/suggestions....

Jim

Sponsored Links
Try the fifth option and build an extension.

How do you know that once you have taken care of the roof that the windows aren't going to be a problem also?

Try the fifth option and build an extension.

How do you know that once you have taken care of the roof that the windows aren't going to be a problem also?

Thanks for your comment - Yeah, an extension with a solid roof might be the best solution, but I imagine it will be quite a bit more than a couple of thousand - even quite a bit more than the Guardian option. Whilst I don't have a crytsal ball, the windows and doors all seem in really good condition - I just want a cost effective way of reducing the temperature with what I have.

Option 1 less than a weeks work, a couple of hundred in materials - whole job less than a grand. Better still, renewing the roof seals first, add another £250. Last for at least another ten years.

Sponsored Links
Option 1 less than a weeks work, a couple of hundred in materials - whole job less than a grand. Better still, renewing the roof seals first, add another £250. Last for at least another ten years.

Yeah that seems a good approach. I would be curious to know how effective the 35mm 7 wall heatguard is - anyone got any experience?

Whilst I don't have a crytsal ball, the windows and doors all seem in really good condition - I just want a cost effective way of reducing the temperature with what I have.

Er no our crystal ball has packed in too. :rolleyes:

When i mentioned the doors and windows i was nor referring to their condition more the fact that they will continue to magnify the heat in the summer.

So, whilst you are spending trillions fixing the roof, will you be fully satisfied with the result or will the remaining glazed areas still pose a problem?

Whilst I don't have a crytsal ball, the windows and doors all seem in really good condition - I just want a cost effective way of reducing the temperature with what I have.

Er no our crystal ball has packed in too. :rolleyes:

When i mentioned the doors and windows i was nor referring to their condition more the fact that they will continue to magnify the heat in the summer.

So, whilst you are spending trillions fixing the roof, will you be fully satisfied with the result or will the remaining glazed areas still pose a problem?

I suppose that's the underlying question I'm asking! Will any of the options I listed provide a satisfactory result. By satisfactory, I would like the room to stay below 90 degrees on the hottest summer day. I don't need the room 365 days a year. It's hard to get a balanced view when most of the info out there is marketing info which I take with a pinch of salt.

I suppose that's the underlying question I'm asking! Will any of the options I listed provide a satisfactory result. By satisfactory, I would like the room to stay below 90 degrees on the hottest summer day. I don't need the room 365 days a year. It's hard to get a balanced view when most of the info out there is marketing info which I take with a pinch of salt.
If the connie is unshaded and is South facing, then a proliferation of (vertical) glazing will always be a heat issue regards summer sunshine. You will lessen the effect by shading/insulating the roof but whether that will be enough, can only be answered by your own crystal ball.

Is leaving a window open not an option?

We installed roof and window blinds in our south-facing conservatory and they do bring down the heat. I guess you could go for some of the other options but a solid roof seems to contradict the reason for having a conservatory in the first place.

Just built a 12sqm conservatory with polycarb roof.
Installed an a/c unit appropriate for the room size.
Best thing we did, cool in summer, warm in the winter, very efficient.
Cost me £880 fitted, although it should have been about £1100 (but it's my friends a/c company).

Perfect solution for our needs.

i manufacture conservatory roofs and beleive it or not glass roofs have a better U-value than poly, they near enough deaden the sound when being weathered plus they are way way cheaper than tiled alternatives, we also do a triple glazed roof which isnt far off the u-value of the guardian system. The 'greenhouse' effect isnt the effect you receive from a glass roof. the glass they make these days is really effective, plus it can be satin backed if you dont want it transparent. blocking out the light isnt the only answer to the problem :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back