Conservatory window boundary issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours conservatory windows open onto my side of the property, we are both mid-terrace. I've had several building related workers who have pointed out to me that these windows should not open onto my property.

I have ivy growing up my wall and it goes to their windows because they are on this wall...people have told me that I am allowed to grow the ivy up my wall because my neighbours should not have those windows opening? But they keep asking me to cut the ivy down.

I am also hoping to have a conservatory myself in the next few years and this is another thing that has been pointed out is that I cannot do so because of their windows.

Any advice or information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need to clarify ownership of the wall. You say that your ivy is growing up your wall and imply that the neighbours conservatory frame is built off your wall too.

If this is so, then it shouldn't be.

However if the wall is in fact shared ownership then it would be OK

It seems that the windows only cross the boundary when opened. In which case, just ask them the keep them closed. Or build your wall up higher (when you build your conservatory) to prevent the windows being opened.

If the conservatory is legitimately placed on their side of the boundary, then they can insist that you prevent your ivy from growing onto their frames, but they can not insist that you just move it just because it prevents them opening the windows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back