Constant running water sound in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past few days the pipework in our house seems to be constantly omitting a running water sound. The sound is loudest by the stop tap in the kitchen and can be heard under the kitchen sink, all the way up to the bathroom upstairs. I thought it was just the toilet slowly refilling, but the sound hasn't stopped since I noticed it the other day. The toilet is only a few months old, so it's unlikely to be a malfunction with the valve, but I suppose we could have bought a dud.

We've had leaks previously but I can't find any evidence of a leak inside the house at all. We've not had the heating on for a few months, so I was wondering if that might have something to do with it? We have an old British Gas CDI Series combi boiler - could that be constantly pumping water to the radiators upstairs?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
I thought it was just the toilet slowly refilling, but the sound hasn't stopped since I noticed it the other day. The toilet is only a few months old, so it's unlikely to be a malfunction with the valve,

have you lifted the cistern lid for a look?

there is probably also a service valve on the supply pipe, turn it off.

Have a look at the tank in the loft as well, especially if there is also a little tank for your central heating.

Sponsored Links
Does the noise stop if the stoptap is closed?

It doesn't stop, but the sound gets a lot quieter. It's noticeably louder below the stop tap though, indicating that the water's flowing beneath that point.

have you lifted the cistern lid for a look?

Not yet (I've not been home much these past few days) but will be sure to take a look tonight.

there is probably also a service valve on the supply pipe, turn it off.

Do you know what this looks like? There's a black pipe that appears to lead to the stop tap but I don't recall seeing a valve on it - will definitely check this tonight.

Have a look at the tank in the loft as well, especially if there is also a little tank for your central heating.

As far as I know there's no tank in the loft - I've not seen one when I've been up there. Am I right in thinking that this is usually the case if you have a combi boiler?

I've asked Yorkshire Water to take a look, but they can't come out for another couple of weeks. Apparently they offer free supply pipe repairs - something to do with avoiding water waste.

Check the Toilet isn't overflowing, the new types with the internal overflow aren't always noticeably overflowing. Water runs down the back of the pan, silently, put a cistern block in if unsure and see if you can spot anything.

It doesn't stop, but the sound gets a lot quieter. It's noticeably louder below the stop tap though, indicating that the water's flowing beneath that point.

Sounds like you have a leak on your supply. You can check easily if you have an external water meter, just close your internal stop tap and see if the meter moves.

Check the Toilet isn't overflowing, the new types with the internal overflow aren't always noticeably overflowing. Water runs down the back of the pan, silently, put a cistern block in if unsure and see if you can spot anything.

Or dry the back of the pan and put some coloured toilet paper against it and see if it goes darker!

I hate those bloody blue loo blocks.

Or dry the back of the pan and put some coloured toilet paper against it and see if it goes darker!

I hate those bloody blue loo blocks.

If you've some coloured tissue! :LOL:

I admit using the 'Bloo' things in the cistern, they're ok until it's time to work on the cistern, but I use the wet vac to empty it out before dismantling. No fan of the Rim Blocks, fished too many out that have gone down with the flush and got stuck....

Just a quick update on this:

We've had Yorkshire Water out to try and find the leak but they couldn't pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from - we have to wait until 13th August for them to dig up the front yard. If a leak is found anywhere up until the supply pipe goes under our house they'll repair it for free, otherwise it becomes our responsibility to find and fix it.

There's still no visible signs of a leak anywhere in the house. Given that it's been going on for a good week now, do you think this means it's unlikely to be under the house, or am I being too optimistic? It's an old terraced house built in 1903, with a concrete kitchen floor and floorboards in the living room.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Do you not have a stop tap on your boundary?
If you do and it can be turned off you can at least ascertain as to which side it’s on.
Could even be a neighbours.

Hard to say where it is, you can have a big leak that’s quiet and no sign of it, next one could be a small leak that’s noisy and has water surfacing.

If they will cover upto your house you really want them to dig at the point of entry, cut n cap the pipe and see if the meter still moves.

If Yorkshire Water fail to find the leak, does anybody know roughly how much it would cost to replace the entire supply pipe from the mains to the internal stop tap? Awkwardly, the water is supplied from the front of the house and the stop tap is at the back, meaning the pipe must run directly below the house - it can't go around the side as it's a mid terrace.

Do you not have a stop tap on your boundary?

I believe there's one on the pavement outside our front gate but apparently we're not allowed to touch it, as there's a chance our supply is shared with that of the neighbours, and damage can be caused when turning the water back on. Seems a bit far fetched to me but the last thing we need is a huge bill from YW for that.

I'm starting to wonder if we should get a plumber out ASAP, or is it better to wait until YW have ruled out a leak on the supply pipe before it reaches the house?

Stressful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back