Mystery running water noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

For the last couple of days we have suddenly developed a noise like the sound of a toilet cistern filling up. It is constant 24 hours a day. However, there are no cisterns filling and no overflows overflowing. if I touch the water pipes in the downstairs loo, it feels like a constant flow of water within.
These pipes travel upstairs through some boxing in our bedroom where the sound is the most annoying.
Our heating system is a boiler and water cylinder. The heating is not on and the water is on twice a day.
Any ideas would be grateful.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know you say you have no warning pipe overflowing but have you checked your ballcock in your CWSC? You need to check all your valves really.

It could be a water leak somewhere you haven't noticed.

Close your internal stop tap, and see if the noise stops. If it does not, close the external stop tap and listen again. If that stops the noise, there may be a leak in your service pipe.

If you have a water meter, you could see if that is still moving when you aren't using any water.

Sometimes water leaks go unnoticed for ages, the only clue being a greener bit of garden above and around the leak during extremely dry weather.

If checking ball valves shows nothing suspect leak under floor in that downstairs loo? ;)

Sponsored Links
Leak on main into house underground , if you have a meter check it by turning house stop cock off and seeing if dial still spinning

Similar to last post, mate went to a house unrelated plumbing job customer talked about this constant noise after the job was finished.......

burst pipe under the floor for years................... washed half of foundations away !!!!!!

I went to a similar job a few months back... two adjacent houses had a constant water noise that had started early in the morning.

Indeed they didn't have tinatus and I could hear it too. Combi so no tanks in the loft and no taps dripping and no leaks evident.

To check it was the mains I turned it off out at the Boundary Stop Tap... Yay they said the noise has gone!

When I turned the water back on the noise disappeared...

I don't have a clue what caused it. A housing development was just being built along the road and I wondered if a erroneous bit of pea gravel had got into the mains pipe and was stuck at their tee off the mains? Bit of a long shot but I have found pea gravel in main stop yaps and shower filters before around here.

We've noticed that there is a water leak out in the road. Directly outside our house. Basically the road is always wet and puddles either side even when everywhere else is dry.
The water company are coming tomorrow. Presumably they'll have do dig up the road. But hopefully cure our noise.

This is a very common problem.There may be some blockage in your pipes .So you must call any leak detection services and check all your pipes before it cause any leakage.The leak detection services will surely solve your problem.It is also less expensive.Moreover it is very necessary to check our pipes regularly to prevent our house from any type of leakage

----------------------------
Latest Water Leak Repair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back