Constant Toilet Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have very little plumbing knowledge so would like to apologise in advance for my ignorance !!

Our main bathroom toilet has a constant flow (albeit little) of water from the tank at the top to the pan. It flows through the general channel i.e. under the upper rim where there are holes and straight into the standing water in the pan. It is constant so feel that it is wasting water.
I did take the top lid off but due to my lack of knowledge in this area, it was a waste of time as don't know what to look for !!
The toilet itself is as old as the house; 9 years old and is in good working condition but it does now make a whining noise during flushing, so maybe not that great a working condition!!
Are these related?

Is this a common problem please and any idea's of what it could be and expected pricing for repair??

Any advice is appreciated !!

Thanks

Red

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the diaphragm on the flush valve isn't seating back properly gone on the bottom of the tank. have you checked it to see if it has some trapped crud?

As above or is the water level so high that it is internally overflowing into the flush mechanism?

Hey TT & Squeaky !

As not an expert, when I did lift the top lid I did check to see whether water from tank was going into long pipe but no overflow.

I have taken some piccies if you wouldn't mind taking a look please

Thanks

Red

Sponsored Links
Water level looks fine so probably as TT suggests. Is it possible to twist the flush mechanism anti-clockwise and remove it. You can then inspect the rubber washer at the bottom for wear/debris or being mis-shapen. If so, take it to a plumbers merchant, buy a new one then twist the new one clock-wise into the existing base. If you can't remove it by twisting, then you need to have a complete new valve fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back