Construction of new workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to have a concrete slab put down for my new workshop - 5m X 3m.

It has not been the supplies that have delayed me but getting the workmen in.

The workshop is being sited in the back corner of my garden so two of the sides are going to up against fences - allowing room for guttering etc. These wont be seen and I will not be able to get near them for maintenance. I was contemplating various cement boards for cladding these walls but am now favouring Cladco box profile sheeting

https://www.roofingsheetsbyrhino.com/box-profile-roofing-sheets/

I will be constructing the framing of the walls lying down on the conccrete (I wont be lying down but I guess you know what I mean) and then raising them up. I will start with the rear side wall followed by the longer rear wall.

For the unseen back and side walls, I will need to put the cladding on before raising the frames.

Things get a bit tricky then - getting the rear back corner tied together. I have checked all the videos on youtube but hardly any go into detail on how to get the corners fastened neatly when raising the framing in this way.

Any hints or tips would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
I did similar a few years ago, for the corner I bent a sheet into a 90 degree bend which was fitted to the corner of first panel erected, and then the second panel slotted into this.

Thanks Catlad. I have decided to reduce the size of the shed by a small amount which will allow me to get access to te back corner for fixing the 90 degree joining piece. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry folks, it has been a long time since I posted on this project. Progress has been slow, but we are getting there.

I spent a long time setting out the plans in sketch-up, but guess what, reality kicked in and I have been making some necessary of improvisations. Some have worked for the good, others have had consequences.

All the frames went up true and square.

As mentioned before, I originally had the shed up against the back fence which was going to make it impossible to maintain the back wall. I therefore chose to clad it in metal box profile sheeting. The dimensions of the sheets did not allow me to comply with the idea of sizing it with 2400mm sheeting and 40cm centre on centre spacings.

I tried to design the roof so that it matched the dimension of the OSB boards. But I failed in that making mistake with my measurements.

The other issue that has arisen was a supplier mistake rather than mine.

When the OSB boards were delivered, I didn’t notice that they came from two different manufacturers. And that has meant that the tongue and grooves don’t exactly match up. I didn’t discover that until I was part was through fixing them up. The boards are also different lengths. It has created a nightmare and meant that I had to do a lot more cutting than was expected and has generated a number of waste sections of sheets.

I got there in the end.

Now to put the rubber EDPM sheeting on.

upload_2021-9-18_12-14-51.jpeg

The rafters are place there for now - not fixed hence them all being out of line.

upload_2021-9-18_12-16-44.png

Any thoughts on what to do about a facia plate. I was going to nail up a couple of T&G cladding boards but because of the measurements - I would need to use two of them and have them cut length-wise. Should I simply get on of those plastic facia boards?

Bought myself a hardwood board which I and going to paint with preserver. I want this thing to last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back