Constructional Hearth ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have uncovered a fireplace in a 1st floor bedroom. I intend to get a HETAS person to finish the job and certificate it, but I'd like as much of the heavy work done by me to keep the costs down.

My main issue is that there is no constructional hearth there. As this is on a first floor bedroom with a suspended wood floor, I am not sure how to meet building regulations.

-I have to make the hearth out of concrete.
-I have calculated that for the dimensions the hearth will need to be, it will weigh about 110kg! (80cm wide, 50cm depth, 13cm thickness)
-it can't touch anything combustible
-it has to have 40mm of air space between the hearth and anything combustible.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I am sure it's been done lots of times in these older houses, but I am unsure how I can actually suspend a concrete slab that heavy without it touching anything!

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
concrete hearths with timber floors at first floor level are (or were) usually supported off the trimming timbers themselves. They would usually nail something like a 2x1 batten all round the insie of the opening and put some board across it, and then fil with concrete. Not sure if this would be acceptable today, though,
Why a hearth at first floor level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back