constuction above the dpc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
167B5F57-00B4-4B02-A423-970202F17A05.jpeg
Hi, I’ve just rejoined forum after many years away. I don’t know if anyone can advise on my current problem but here goes...picture attached hopefully.

Next door have had council built ramp to front door.
Ramp adjoins my property for approx 1 metre.
Ramp abuts my property approx 1inch above DPC.

I have asked the council to make a physical gap of 100mm between ramp and wall, they have dismissed this idea.

The council have contacted me to say that they will remedy the problem of damp (seen as wet bricks above dpc in picture) by installing linear plastic drain, which in my opinion is incorrect as there is still a construction above the dpc.
Council says this is acceptable and in line with building regulations???

Any advice please

Sponsored Links
As long as the linear drain goes down below the DPC (as it will with you), then the solution is okay. The linear drain is made of plastic, so stops anything moving up towards the DPC, and the drain part of it will divert water away from the brickwork. And it's a neater solution than a 100mm gap that a wheelchair may fall down.

As long as the linear drain goes down below the DPC (as it will with you), then the solution is okay. The linear drain is made of plastic, so stops anything moving up towards the DPC, and the drain part of it will divert water away from the brickwork. And it's a neater solution than a 100mm gap that a wheelchair may fall down.

Maybe when it is first installed but not when you start to get soil and dead leaves washing down the back of it. Also you will still get the soaked bricks as rain splashes up the wall off the drain cover, that's why the DPC is supposed to be 6 inches above the ground.

Cutting the ramp back by 100mm would be the best solution, although they would have to modify the handrail.

Sponsored Links
Anything touching the wall is a trespass.

Any damp created is a statutory nuisance

Building regualtions has nothing to do with this. Have the council made an application?

But wouldn't the OP prefer compensation to a victory over trespass???

How do you go about proving the council was at fault for this damp???

Would it help if he lowered that area of small stone???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back