Consumer Unit - Advice, thoughts, suggestions sought.

Dear @SirLancelot when the electrician did the work, he should have provided an installation certificate. This will have a schedule of test results. This schedule will state the size of cable installed.
If it was 4mm² then a 30A MCB is fine. If it is 2.5mm² then 20A MCB is needed.

As above. The circuit should be RCD protected, it isn’t.

If you have an installation certificate that says the installation complies with BS 7671 then it doesn’t.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you have an installation certificate that says the installation complies with BS 7571 then it doesn’t.
You my wish to 'numerically edit' that :)

As I understand it (from the other thread), all the electrician did was to replace a ('grease-ridden') existing socket. If, for the purpose of argument, the cable were 4mm², that would be compliant (with BS7671) and I don't think replacing a damaged socket triggers a need for RCD protection, does it? If not, it call theoretically all be (BS7671) compliant.

Kind Regards, John

As said earlier it is unlikely your electrician will get a new 20a mcb for that, it would have to be very old new stock or secondhand
It is MK sentry version 1 from the late 80s early 90s, Ban all sheds i think has some secondhand mcbs that fit that board :)

Sponsored Links
I'm going to take the advice of the forum - and get the CU updated to a more modern one.

A) Can I ask for specific recommendations for a replacement CU unit.

Notes:

- Two electric Showers, one electric oven

- 3 bed house, through lounge, kitchen + conservatory (Washing machine + tumble dryer)

- We have a large garage-office which is supplied from the box - with a separate RCD FUSE box situated within the garage.

B) Looking at the pics - what would a fair costing be for getting the job done.

C) How long would such a task take?

D) What certification and paperwork would be involved from beginning to end?

E) Is there any other aspect I have missed to ask about/explore?

I'm going to take the advice of the forum - and get the CU updated to a more modern one.

Notes:

- 3 bed house, through lounge, kitchen + conservatory (Washing machine + tumble dryer)

- We have a large garage-office which is supplied from the box - with a separate RCD FUSE box situated within the garage.

A. One with sufficient ways for your need, ask your electrician.
B. Get three quotes, bearing in mind the cheapest is not always the best.
C. Ask your electrician.
D. Your electrician will know.
E. Make sure your garage feed does not go through the house RCD. You don't want two RCDs in line.

Notes:

A fair cost? With your history, circa £2,500.00.

Two electric showers is, indeed, a bad idea (and an idea which probably should be discussed with the DNO) if there is an appreciable likelihood that both would be used simultaneously for an appreciable period of time. I actually have three, but none of which is hardly ever used, and the chances of two, let alone three, being used simultaneously for an appreciable period of time is pretty negligible.
So will you remove them when you sell? Or get a family member to when you’re run over?

In any event, in my case the issue is (at least, electrically) actually fairly moot, since each of the three showers are on different ("80A") phases.

Kind Regards, John

Pretty pointless mentioning it then.

But at least we can now be aware he lives in a massive house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back