Consumer Unit - Advice, thoughts, suggestions sought.

Sponsored Links
I actually have three, but none of which is hardly ever used, and the chances of two, let alone three, being used simultaneously for an appreciable period of time is pretty negligible.

What was the point in this comment then? If you have a shower on each phase, it makes this comment absolutely pointless, and almost encourages people that having several showers on one supply is actually perfectly fine.

Sponsored Links
I am coming to regret that I made the comment at all, and certainly that I added my ('pre-emptive') comment about the separate phases, since it is essentially irrelevant.
It is absolutely not irrelevant, because ....

My point was that having multiple large loads connected to an electrical installation is not a significant problem if the chances of them actually being used simultaneously for significant periods of time is negligible.
.... your example is of one where you could leave all of them running 24x7, as they are on different phases.

I doubt that we would having the same discussion if we were talking about two or three large cookers. It is theoretically not impossible that all could have all their hobs and elements 'on' simultaneously but (as reflected in the 'diversity guidelines'), the chances of that happening for a significant period of time would be negligible.
For as long as you continue to cite 'diversity guidelines' I will continue to ask you what those say about instant water heaters.

I've had enough of this. I merely tried to make the point that how acceptable it is to have multiple potentially large loads connected to an electrical installation depends upon judgements as to how they will be used, particularly in relation to the possibility of two or more being used simultaneously for significant periods of time - but that has backfired into a squabble.

I have removed all of the 'offending' posts.

Should I have noticed you live in a MASSIVE house earlier?
If you've been around this forum, you should have noticed - it not infrequently 'crops up', particularly when the question of 3-phase domestic supplies or my fairly extensive/complex electrical installation is mentioned :)

Kind Regards, John

live in a MASSIVE house

I think you are being unfair Dave. Of the forums I've been involved in over the years, I would say @JohnW2 comes across as the least bragging/big-headed-ness I've ever seen in that sense. That is certainly not his intention, I'm sure. He brings it up when relevant to three phase installations, which of course is very rare in a domestic setting.

Anyways, he's old, really old(I think!) :eek::p:p, I intend to be wealthier when old, too!! :whistle::eek:

He's not old. From what I have read, he has matured well. And I bet he's a damn sight less creaky than me!

I think you are being unfair Dave. Of the forums I've been involved in over the years, I would say @JohnW2 comes across as the least bragging/big-headed-ness I've ever seen in that sense. That is certainly not his intention, I'm sure. He brings it up when relevant to three phase installations, which of course is very rare in a domestic setting.
I think this is a very fair statement.

Anyways, he's old, really old(I think!) :eek::p:p, I intend to be wealthier when old, too!! :whistle::eek:
That WAS my intention too...

I think you are being unfair Dave ....
Thank you for your kind comments. What you say about my 'intentions' is certainly correct.
He's not old. From what I have read, he has matured well. And I bet he's a damn sight less creaky than me!
I'm afraid that rsgaz is closer to the truth. I'm a few years over (theoretical!) 'retirement age', certainly feel "really old" at times, and I'm certainly starting to creak very noticeably.

Despite being over 'retirement age', I still necessarily try to work as much as I ever did, specifically because I am the antithesis wealthy (except, perhaps, on paper). The house we are in is the result of 'history' and is far more of a liability than and indication of wealth, in terms of both running and maintenance costs. Since everyone else who used to live in the house have 'gone' (there were once four generations living here), the house is theoretically several times larger than we should 'need'. However, we have come to love the place and, more to the point, have somehow managed to fill it with possessions (aka 'junk' in many cases) to the extent that downsizing is almost unthinkable - and would certainly be a major challenge and would require a drastic change in 'lifestyle' (I have enough workshop tools and wood/plumbing/electrical supplies etc. to fill a small house, not to mention several thousand books!) ... so here we still are!

There endeth the story!

Kind Regards, John

There seems to be no hope for us, then!

When Mrs Secure & I got together, we went through all our stuff and threw away a lot. But, it seems, not enough. 21 years down the road, we still have too much and would never be able to downsize - a distinct possibility, nay perhaps a necessity - unless we threw out an awful lot more.

The trouble is, every time I get brave and throw out/ give away/ sell stuff, I need it soon after. It really isn't an excuse not to have a clear out, it just seems like Sod's Law strikes me every time I do it.

There seems to be no hope for us, then! .... When Mrs Secure & I got together, we went through all our stuff and threw away a lot. But, it seems, not enough. 21 years down the road, we still have too much and would never be able to downsize - a distinct possibility, nay perhaps a necessity - unless we threw out an awful lot more. ... The trouble is, every time I get brave and throw out/ give away/ sell stuff, I need it soon after. It really isn't an excuse not to have a clear out, it just seems like Sod's Law strikes me every time I do it.
Identical experiences here.

We moved here, 31 years ago, from a standard 2½-bed semi, hence bringing little in the way of furniture and possessions with us. Albeit a small number of the rooms were initially occupied by older members of the family (since gone), within less than 5 years we had totally filled the place (which must be at least 4 times larger than our previous house) and were starting to complain that we didn't have enough space for everything ... and so it remains!

Recognising our increasing age, last year we did have a determined (but seemingly futile) attempt to rationalise some of the 'belongings' situation - resulting in countless trips to the tip and charity shops. However, that had very little impact on the situation (the house is still 'crammed to the eyeballs) and, of course, just as with you, during the subsequent year we have on several occasions cursed the fact that we threw something out which we now could do with!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back