Consumer Unit Options...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Looking for some advice on what options are available and viable for the following.

Next week we move into a new house. The house currently has a Contactum board with no spare capacity. The house was rewired and board replaced around 5 years ago i believe. Later in the year we plan to add a car charger and a garden office so looking at options when it comes to creating the space required to add these to the consumer unit. I don't plan on doing the work myself but was looking for viable options before i contact and discuss with an electrician in the area. Which of the below options, or indeed any others is a good/acceptable way forward? There should be an image of the current CU so you can see whats what.

• Combine Smoke alarm to downstairs lights. Combine kitchen lights to 1st Floor lights. Creates 2 spaces to add new circuits. Kitchen is a new extension with 6 LED spotlights. 1st Floor has 5 lights - all lights are LED in house.
  • Split the tails and add another smaller consumer unit. There is a dual pole isolation already installed in same location and space/access looks good
  • Replace 1st half of board with RCBO's to make space for the 2 new circuits
  • Replace consumer unit with a larger version?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• two.jpg
    two.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Step one select the EV charging unit you want to use, as you need to know what is built in, 6 mA DC detection, lost of PEN detection, and RCD. This can change what is required, but yes swapping half to type A RCBO's seems to be a good option.

Sponsored Links
:) I have done exactly the same at some point, at least once!

The thing with many of the photos people use here it they do a beautiful job of getting in close for the detail, as is the case here, but as happened here the periferal view is not there.
In this instance it is the correctly taken picture for details, other times a wider shot is required for the overall layout.

Admittedly it took a double look for me too, it's not the first time and it certainly won't be the last.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Wider shot for reference (and cover down) to see if this changes any options. Not decided on charger yet, possibly Wallbox pulsar plus but certainly not tied to anything. Many thanks

Attachments

• three.jpg
    three.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 83
I had a hunt for Contactum double pole RCBO, it seems they do make one, However no picture and says "Width in number of modular spacings 2" so it does matter if a TT or TN supply. Seems part number CCPBR06322AB

Also a large difference in price. Says Trade price £34.27 and hunting the part number not found any for sale with price.

Single pole switching far cheaper £19.86, so TN or TT. Just seen wider shot seems TN supply. So single pole switching can be used.

options when it comes to creating the space required to add these to the consumer unit.
Remove what's there and install a new one with main switch, surge protection and a suitable quantity of RCBOs. Preferably those which have a switched neutral.

What's there now was chosen for one reason only - it was cheap.

What's there now was chosen for one reason only - it was cheap.
I have great respect for you, your web site and your videos but you frequently say things like that.

The consumer unit might not be the best but it is adequate and does not need replacing solely because it was not the most expensive.
Is it your belief that people should always buy the most expensive variety when choosing products?

Do you perhaps own a Ford or even a BMW when you could have bought a Bentley?

The consumer unit is not adequate, as they need two more circuits and there isn't any space in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back