consumer unit and 30 amp fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently discovered ring main downstairs terminated in old 30 amp fuse box,as would be expected!However there is another live cable clamped in this fuse(ie 3 in total).I traced this to sockets upstairs,a connection between 2 double sockets and a spur off each of these,but obviously no ring!!The problem I have is that I need another 3 double sockets upstairs.Can I link the existing with the proposed to make a separate ring for upstairs? Bearing in mind that this would mean cramming another live cable in at the fusebox,and I don`t think its designed to cramp 4!!If you get my drift!!

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea - one circuit/one fuse.
The only options you have are to wire a new ring totally with it's own protective device or extend the existing ring encompassing any sockets that are incorrectly wired

Or remove the wire feeding those extra sockets and put in a new fuse rated at 20A or 16A. That makes it a legal radial, but you'll be restricted on current draw - should be ok if no heavy loads upstairs.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to fit a modern circuit breaker unit,as long as I got a sparky to commission it so to speak?!

If it were me i'd put two rings on one fuse, its not entirely clear if it complies with BS7671 but its not dangerous and if you have and old fusewire CU it probablly doesn't comply with current regs anyway.

Replacing a CU isn't generally a DIY job, Its notifiable under part P, generaly requires someone to pull the service fuse (really the supplier should do it but many electricians do it themselves) and if its done without proper testing its easy to end up with a RCD that always trips.

Best option IMO is to turn the upstairs into a ring, stick it on the same fuse for now but mark the cables somehow so you know which ones belong to which ring. Then fix any other faults you know of then get an electrican to replace the consumer unit with a modern one.

Many thanks,its more or less the reply I was hoping for!!Incidently when I get the CU replaced there will be old colours and new colours(wiring),if I put a new ring in,that is.Will the electrician still approve it?

The electrician will probably not approve work you have done. Most are only able (and prepared) to certify and notify work that they have done themselves.
Mixing old & new wiring colours in an installation is acceptable but certain warning notices have to be posted. yous electrician will know what to do.

the electrican would only be certifying the work he did and possiblly record the general state of the installation. Its not his buisness to care who did the existing wiring or when.

Thanks again!I intend to do what you suggest;any thoughts on fitting 4wires in a fuse terminal that appears to be designed for 2!!

It will be a struggle fitting 4 x 2.5mm² conductors into one terminal, even more so if the conductors are 7/.029...

4x2.5mm cables is an overall CSA of 10mm so i'd expect them to just about fit.

failing that put them in a bit of 30A chock block and run a short peice of 6mm into the terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back