Consumer unit has 'shower' breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I got to visit my new build house the other day - it is still not ready, they only just put the doors and windows in.

Can anyone tell me why there is a shower breaker in the consumer? We don't have a power shower, it is just a conventional thermostatic one and there is only one bathroom in the whole house. There is no wiring anywhere under the bath. The only electrics other than the bathroom light are the shaver socket and the extract fan.

Photo%2010-06-2017%2016%2020%2021_zps0fykhnzd.jpg

Photo%2010-06-2017%2016%2022%2010_zpsbxzocui3.jpg

Photo%2010-06-2017%2016%2022%2059_zpsnhvwilvt.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably not connected.

What's the solar?
I did wonder this.
Solar is the PV panels on the roof.
I am assuming the controller box for it may need a mains power source?

Solar will be the "submain" to the inverter, generatated power is backfed through this circuit, the solar inverter will also shut down in the event of loss off mains supply. Its also wrongly installed.... it shouldn't be on the load side of an RCD feeding other circuits! One for the snag list......

The shower is probably a spare feed joint boxed in the roof space, there would have likely been some confusion about what type of shower was going in at one stage of the build

Sponsored Links
What is going on with the bathroom floor?
The plywood extends to the right wall, with skirting on top.
At the left side, no ply yet the skirting is already fitted at a lower level.

No support battens for the bath either, meaning it will sag and leak around the edges.

Talksr has also got questions about the plumbing on this house. he refers to plans showing an airing cupboard with hot water cylinder but ( so far ) there is no hot water cylinder.

Power and lighting for the same floor are supplied from the same RCD ? Basic stuff !

DS

Concur. Dual split load board should ideally have lights up and sockets down on one side, the lights down and sockets up on the other.

I expect the shower circuit has been terminated in roof.

Solar should for sure not be sharing an RCD as the other circuits then won't meet disconnection times.

Concur. Dual split load board should ideally have lights up and sockets down on one side, the lights down and sockets up on the other.

I expect the shower circuit has been terminated in roof.

Solar should for sure not be sharing an RCD as the other circuits then won't meet disconnection times.
Will certainly add it to snagging, do you think it is dangerous to be left how it is?
Worried that developer is maybe house bashing to get these done as they are over date on completion. Would be far more happy to wait and get a proper job than have them rushing.

Also, should there not be a cooker breaker? In the kitchen there is a 6 switch lighting panel with normal switches labelled Cooker, Dishwasher, Fuse, Washing Machine, Fridge Freezer, Cooker Hood and Hob.

What is going on with the bathroom floor?
The plywood extends to the right wall, with skirting on top.
At the left side, no ply yet the skirting is already fitted at a lower level.

No support battens for the bath either, meaning it will sag and leak around the edges.

Really not sure about that, but well observed. I will have to ask them when I get my official viewing day, but it doesn't look right to me either.

Will certainly add it to snagging, do you think it is dangerous to be left how it is?
Potentially yes - if a fault occurs, the RCD disconnects the mains supply but the solar inverter remains connected and supplying power until it detects the loss of power and shuts down. During which time you have power connected to some faulty item, or a person, etc.

Potentially yes - if a fault occurs, the RCD disconnects the mains supply but the solar inverter remains connected and supplying power until it detects the loss of power and shuts down. During which time you have power connected to some faulty item, or a person, etc.
Ok thanks for the clarification, doesn't sound good.

My brother works in the building trade (for a small builder) and is convinced they are house bashing here. They have trades people coming in and out at all hours, leaving doors unlocked in the street with keys in the lock and no one about. Definitely need to keep my eye on this one. We really like the place, but cannot afford to end up with shoddy work.

( so far ) there is no hot water cylinder.
There's probably no boiler yet, either.

AIUI, things which are desirable to thieves don't get fitted until the very last minute. A building site full of copper cylinders is a tempting target.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back