Consumer Unit Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, If I replace a consumer unit that is up higher than the guidelines (I.e near ceiling where the main meter is) can I just replace it at that height or do I need to drop it down?

Help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan[/list]

Sponsored Links
If you don't know the answer then the question arises should you be fitting a CU in the first place?

Yea I can cos its not a full rewire or new build, put that in ya stuck up pipe and smoke it ;)

Sponsored Links
If you (or a person of average height) would be unable to reach it without standing on something, I'd lower it.

"Good workmanship" should cover it.

Yea I can cos its not a full rewire or new build, put that in ya stuck up pipe and smoke it ;)
You clearly have no idea do you?
What has a full rewire or new build got to do with it?
Sounds like you're on a date (an illegal date) to disaster - and your 'smoke it' comment might come back to haunt you.
Get someone in who knows what they're doing - you know someone who will notify your LABC, properly test the complete installation and issue the appropriate certification.

If you as to do a full rewire you wouldn't leave the consumer up at that height...

And obviously it ain't new build...

It's for my assesment piece and I'm currently at work not able to check the on site guide or BS7671 so I was just asking but as per usual you get people who just want to put their 2 pence in, unfortunately I wasn't born an electrician I'm having to learn and everyday chucks different scenarios in your way....

Next negative response please

If you as to do a full rewire you wouldn't leave the consumer up at that height...
You may have to.

It's for my assesment piece and I'm currently at work not able to check the on site guide or BS7671 so I was just asking but as per usual you get people who just want to put their 2 pence in, unfortunately I wasn't born an electrician I'm having to learn and everyday chucks different scenarios in your way....

Next negative response please
OSG and BS7671 wouldn't help you.
Try Part M of the Building regulations or
Regulation 15 of the Electricity Working Regulations 1989.

Thanks for the help it's all I was looking for, I wish I knew everything straight away but life not that simple, but thanks

Thanks for the help it's all I was looking for, I wish I knew everything straight away but life not that simple, but thanks
The reality is that you are/will be constrained by the loction of the service head and the DNO requirement to locate the CU within 2 metres. Plus the local environment like front door access.
This can apply even when doing rewires. For example quite a lot of houses around my way had overhead cable entry points (TT systems) which they later replaced with TNCS.
But the service head entrance point above the front door meant that the CU could only be placed above the door height height some 7/8 feet off the ground.
The only other option was to ask the DNO to move the service head to a more accessible location - which equals ££££££

Yea that is the case in which the house in located, terraces houses all the same with the meter inside front door in hall wall, some have been moved, some haven't, I just didn't want to do the job then look like a plonked if the assessor was to say something different, I'm only young and I have being carry out electrical work for a few years under a company being shown/told what to do but it's a lot harder on your own, like I said I will be learning every single day, thanks a lot

do you intend to inform your Network you will be pulling the service fuse and how will you be attempting this? Hope you have some big heavy duty gloves!

How old is the supply and do you have an isolator you can use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back