Consumer Unit Height

A switch fuse isolator allows you to extend the tails, why not have that at height and put the cu somewhere a bit more sensible.

Messing around at height, in the dark post an rcd trip isn't the safest option. You might consider a inset cu if the wall depth allows.

Sponsored Links
I don need to be patronised on doing the work, I've changed consumer units before...if ya ain't got nothing useful to say then please "help" someone else

Thanks

Only you know how the existing is wired, at a guess the 1st floor stuff would and the ground floor stuff pulled back.

Crimps, or box and din rails would do, and make for a decent more practical installation.

You could even do it with wago din and connectors in a enclosure

Just an idea, and one that when you do such work on an elderly couples property you should consider as prudent.

With some nice boxing in or trunking down it would be far more user friendly and aesthetically look pretty good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Wago/index.html

Sponsored Links
I can see elderly people or disabled people moving into this property due to the staircase being very narrow, steep and curved, I could be wrong due to financial restraints people may have, the landlord has just asked for the consumer unit to be changed, with minimum cost/work that's why I asked if it was ok where it was...

Thanks or the comments though it all helps me

Remind the landlord tha he has a duty of care, that might help him agree that the job should be done to a standard that allows for any tenant age :LOL:

This has all got a bit 'touchy-feely'.

You cannot cater for everyone.
If you lower it tall people may bump their heads.
Too low - some people can't bend.

The landlord wants the CU replaced and presumably doesn't want to pay for costly alterations.

Frequently, in discussions about isolation switches we are told that introducing extra joints is a bad thing.
Yet here it is proposed to introduce, what, sixty new joints for no reason.

A simple emergency light near the CU would solve most of the problems.

If the flat is not suitable because of the height of the CU then the landlord will have fewer tenants wanting to rent it.

Finally someone who wants to advise, everyone just wants to take the p*** out of people on here, but if ya don't ask questions you will
Never get answers...thanks again mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back