Consumer unit in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This Consumer unit is fitted in the bedroom of a house where customer has asked us to fit electric shower.

I trust the electrician to do the job (I am doing the plumbing) but would like to get some feedback from some of you guys on best practice for safely adding to this unit for a 9.5kw shower.

I am staggered this was fitted in what is now the kids bedroom at exactly the same height as a standard single bed :confused:

Sponsored Links
but was it a bedroom when it was fitted

I would say no technically it was not a bedroom.

When the house was built the new owner occupier could have used the three empty rooms in the upstairs of his new three bedroom house for any purpose he wanted.

He chose (rightly or wrongly) to use the space for two single beds for his children ;)

Nothing stopping him, but that should be boxed in for at least peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Unless the kid starts poking round with a screwdriver it's less dangerous than the lampholder in the bedside light.

True, but I would have boxed it if using the room for a childs bedroom.

Pic's a bit fuzzy to make out detail, but looks like a split load board with a spare way on the RCD side, so I reckon the board cna take a shower, but depends where the shower is as to whether the assorted regs for "special locations" are met. At the very least I'd expect this to be boxed off to some waterproof level if a shower's going in the same room.

PJ

Needs a site survey by the electrician doing the job.

The first thing is: will the supply take the additional load?
The new shower will pull maybe 45amps.

How is that Tenbly board fed from the mains supply? is there a switchfuse downstairs that will limit the current?

What is the limit on the DNO's supply?

Needs careful planning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back