Consumer unit location

My error. Reading section 8.2 is not clear "sockets for lighting and other equipment" ... Is that other equipment that plugs into sockets or eqipment other than sockets and switches.
Quite so. As so often, some of this AD has the clarity of mud :) I would certainly say that it is far from certain that it covers CUs,whatever it's trying to say!
Edit: Also worthy of note is that the title of Section 8 and 8.1 ('Objectives') only refer to switches and sockets (no 'other equipment')

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You have to save it to a file rather than a direct download. Took about five goes before I changed tack - kept getting stuck at 1.56.
Ah, thanks - I'll try that. I did better than you - kept sticking at 2.92-2.94 (of 2.98) - although the total size stated was not always 2.98, either (on some occasions, it was around 4.5!) - something odd going on!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But this height recommendation:
between 1350mm and 1450mm
comes from AD P, not AD M.
Ah - very good point!!
Approved Doc P said:
Approved Document M recommends that in new dwellings only, switches and socket-outlets for lighting and other equipment should be between 450mm and 1200mm from finished floor level. Approved Document M does not recommend a height for new consumer units. However, one way of complying with Part M in new dwellings is to mount consumer units so that the switches are between 1350mm and 1450mm above floor level. At this height, the consumer unit is out of reach of small children yet accessible to other people when sitting or standing.
In fact, we've all been daft in this discussion about Part M. Even if Part M applied to the OP (which it doesn't), and even if AD M represented 'the law' (which it doesn't), and even if the references in Section 8 of AD M were taken to include CUs (which I don't think they do - AD P obviously doesn't think so!), then the OP's CU would be compliant with 450mm-1200mm requirements mentioned in Sect 8 of AD M!!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back