Consumer unit location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice please....

3 years ago I built a stud wall in my 1 bedroom, first floor flat to split a large kitchen up, creating a second bedroom. The council are the freeholders and as such I was required to notify them before doing any work. I contacted the planning department and showed them my plans, they said the work was so minor it didn't require planning permission. An inspection post completion would suffice. This was performed and I hold a building completion certificate for the work.

We are in the middle of selling our property and the council are now saying we require a retrospective license for alterations as we didn't inform the leasehold department about the work. Bit annoying but ok....

They sent out a surveyor to inspect the work and he has said we need to move the consumer unit (which was untouched in the works) up to between 1350mm and 1450mm as it's current location is hazardous. It's currently mounted on a wall about a meter off the floor.

Does this request sound reasonable or normal? Should the freeholders be imposing technical requests upon us?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am massively confused and we're desperate to get this house sold.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could just be boxed in to make it "non hazzardous".

Is it out in the open in a place a child could reach and fiddle with it or something

I'd press them on

1: why they think it is hazardous
2: what they think this has to do with the work you are applying for permission for

I'd also look into whether it's possible to buy out the freehold and if so how much it would cost to get the monkeys of your and any future occupants backs permanently.

Thanks for the reply.

It is out in the open, previously it was at the back of a kitchen cupboard. I'm happy to build a cabinet around it but the council are insisting it's moved upwards by around 350mm which is obviously the really pricey option.

Sponsored Links
I'm with plug. They're being cheeky f'kers.

Get them to quote regulations that are breached.

What plug says - ask them what is hazardous about it, and where they have got the figure of 1350mm - 1450mm as being non hazardous. Would it suddenly become hazardous again at 1451mm?

Point out that if you hadn't built the wall the CU would still be where it is, so it's not the building of the wall which is the issue it's the removal of the cupboard, which you will re-instate, so that the CU situation is the same as it had originally been. Did they build the flats with hazardous electrics in the first place?

And prepare yourself for having to chose between expensive and time consuming legal action, and moving the CU, if they won't listen to reason.

Thank you for all the replies, you've been really helpful. I have spoken to the surveyor and asked him to send the exact bit of text in the regs that requires me to move my consumer unit.

He was very evasive on the phone and kept talking about fire risks. Bit odd! I will update with what bit he sends me (although if his track record is much to go by, he won't bother sending anything).

I'm going to chuck a complaint into the council now too as this all seems to be taking the p**s a bit.

Thank you again for all the help

Sounds completely over the top to me. In terms of risk, whats the difference between this and a socket outlet at low level. Both are suitably designed to offer sufficient ingress protection.

You might find they'll come back with some cr4p about it being at "wheelchair friendly" height. Why people who are not disabled and who want to modify their property (owned or rented) are obliged to cater for some potential future occupier/owner defies belief.

There must be many who are obliged to play the "game" to get their completion certificate then, once received, get a sparky back to fit sockets and switches at "sensible" heights.

You might find they'll come back with some cr4p about it being at "wheelchair friendly" height. Why people who are not disabled and who want to modify their property (owned or rented) are obliged to cater for some potential future occupier/owner defies belief.
Indeed - but, in any event, as I understand it the OP had nothing to do with the present location (height from floor) of the CU, which seems to make it ludicrous to suggest that he should be responsible for moving it to wherever they'd prefer it to be (for whatever reason, and even if a daft reason!)!

Kind Regards, John

You might find they'll come back with some cr4p about it being at "wheelchair friendly" height.
That would be an interesting argument as it's a 1st floor flat. Tricky - is there a lift?

Why people who are not disabled and who want to modify their property (owned or rented) are obliged to cater for some potential future occupier/owner defies belief.
They aren't - look at the scope of Part M.

There must be many who are obliged to play the "game" to get their completion certificate then, once received, get a sparky back to fit sockets and switches at "sensible" heights.
Actually, if Part M does actually apply, then why should people seek to circumvent it? Why should disabled people be deliberately excluded from living in new houses?

Don't forget the consumer unit is already 'about a metre' high and the jobsworth is saying it must be between 1.35 and 1.45 metres.

That's moving it up about 35cm. with a tolerance of 10cm.

Unlikely they will come back at all - Consumer Units are not included in the min max height requirements.

Not sure why you would bother - seems like a lot of extra work.

In the last couple of years I have completed seven full rewires and whether the LABC required it or not I have consulted with the customer and on every occasion they have said put the switches and sockets between the min and max figure.
TBH once they are installed and being used - I found the new heights much easier - maybe cause I'm getting older ;)

Build a cupboard around the consumer unit with a height of 1450. Make it out of 18mm MDf, which is 1hr fire proof. Then ask them to come and inspect it.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back