Consumer unit next to water pipes/joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're having a toilet/sink installed in a cloakroom, and the water pipes have been routed through the box containing the electrics and CU...

There are a number of connecting joints for the pipework, and our concern is obviously mixing water with electricity if there's a leak! Is this normal practice, or should we get them to move it all out of there? The sink hasn't been fitted yet.

I'll try to attach some images, sorry if they're a bit big.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: To clarify, the white piping is all of the new stuff.

sink_connection.jpg pipe_over_cu.jpg pipe_junctions.jpg water_pipe_below_cu.jpg pipe_junctions_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did you pay a plumber to put that in?? I'm appalled.

If so get them to rip that JG speedfit out and tell them you'd like the job done properly (with copper & solder).

I wouldn't normally be too concerned. But that lash up next to the service head needs to go, immediately. If you get any kind of leak on that, it will be the biggest bang you have seen in your life!

Did you pay a plumber to put that in?? I'm appalled.

If so get them to rip that JG speedfit out and tell them you'd like the job done properly (with copper & solder).

I wouldn't normally be too concerned. But that lash up next to the service head needs to go, immediately. If you get any kind of leak on that, it will be the biggest bang you have seen in your life!

Thank you for the quick reply. Not entirely paid yet, they're coming back tomorrow, and he's an apparently qualified plumber. The part about the service head is obviously very concerning - pardon my ignorance, but the service head is the black part in the picture that shows the mess of connections, right?

Thanks again for your help.

Yes the service head is the black part where the cable comes in to the property. It's a 100A fuse that protects the cables to your meter and the fuse for the cable itself is likely an 800A fuse at the substation. Not pretty if it gets wet.

If that is the work of a qualified plumber, I would be very, very surprised. I've done better installs than that, and I wouldn't even call myself a good amateur plumber.

Sponsored Links
If that is the work of a qualified plumber, I would be very, very surprised. I've done better installs than that, and I wouldn't even call myself a good amateur plumber.
Same here, on both counts - as you say, it is (at least IMO) appalling.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again, I'll ask him to comment on what you've said tomorrow.

Same here, on both counts - as you say, it is (at least IMO) appalling
I don't think there's any IMO about it!!

There's not one thing that looks good (other than the fact it's white!), and that bend under the consumer unit is going to put a LOT of pressure on the joints at both ends. That speedfit barrier pipe is STRONG.

If that cut-out ever needs changing or worked on, the DNO will point blank refuse and not return until the plumbing (?) is moved. This could leave you without an electric supply until it is done.

Last edited:
That was not installed by a plumber. It was bodged together by a mindless moron whi has no idea about the dangers he ( or she ) has created for you.

bodge_1.jpg

The pipe between the elbow and the T is bent quite sharply between the two joints and either or both those joints are highly likely to fail in the near future. If they are central heating or hot water pipes it is a near certainty that they will fail.

There appears to be plenty of space under the floor wher the pipes could be be run.

The guy also clearly hasn't heard of stem elbows either. TBH I can't really work out what he's trying to do. I assume the two feeds on the right are for a basin and the one on the left a toilet, but lift a damn board!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back