Consumer Unit OK?

Given the questionable quality of the work, lack of sockets & rings etc - if we do go head I think we'll just have it all rewired again and done properly! Plenty of sockets, dedicated rings and new consumer unit too.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
... and if what's in the oven space is an outlet plate top left ...
I assume it must be either a single socket or FCU - no cooker circuit in the CU. Regardless, no way to have "proper" electric cooking.
I've come to the conclusion that "a significant number" of sparkies either don't know the regs or just don't care given the number of installations I've seen with a signed declaration (stating compliance with BS7671) which is false.

TBH possible structural and/or planning problems are far more important.
Indeed, and given what we've been told I don't think there can be too much certainty that everything is OK. So very first thing is to check that all paperwork is in place - building control all signed off, planning signed off, etc.

Finally get a reply from the sellers solicitors today...

The copy documents previously provided were handed to our clients at the time of their purchase and our clients have not carried out any electrical work during their ownership.

Never mind the seller at the time told us they had to get it sorted after they brought it, there is new sockets visible since the last sale pictures and additional outside lighting since the house was sold last too! :eek:

Just about ready to sod the whole thing & withdraw!

Never mind the seller at the time told us they had to get it sorted after they brought it, there is new sockets visible since the last sale pictures and additional outside lighting since the house was sold last too! :eek: ... Just about ready to sod the whole thing & withdraw!
If, for whatever reason, you are still potentially interested in the purchase, if I were you I think I would probably be inclined to tell the seller's solicitor that there is photographic evidence that his/her clients have answered your questions untruthfully.

That may focus their minds a bit, and maybe facilitate negotiations over price, since the solicitor would know that if the sale were to go ahead on the basis of untruthful answers to your enquiries, his/her clients could be in deep (and potentially expensive) trouble!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back