Consumer unit removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had old storage heaters removed and the elec board have been up and cut the cables outside at the meter and removed the meter. Can I safely remove the consumer unit. I have a separate unit for the rest of the house electrics.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
It should be OK, a few things to be careful of though:
* Make sure the electricity board really have cut the correct tails, and there is no supply to this CU
* This is unlikely, as you'd probably have noticed it since the storage heaters would have come on when they weren't meant to (and breakers would probably have tripped on the main CU) anyway, but if someone had accidentally connected a circuit on the storage heater board to the main CU, it could backfeed such that the storage heater CU is still live. This sounds hard to do, but if you had a ring socket and a storage heater socket next to each other, it wouldn't be inconceivable for someone to wire the wrong pair together etc...

How do I check if the supply has been disconnected? The meter at the outside wall has been definitely removed and the wires that fed it have been cut right back.

Sponsored Links
have you considered replacing the storage heater points for socket outlets, and re-feeding them with 24 hr electric?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back