Consumer Unit Replacement

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I missed a relevant bit, but -

as the back-box is not considered an exposed-c-p then neither will the conduit be IF it is all buried and no longer used as the CPC.
If the back-box is earthed by the face-plate screws then so will be the connected conduit but this is not a requirement although, as I said, most people think it a good idea.

Sponsored Links
as the back-box is not considered an exposed-c-p then neither will the conduit be IF it is all buried and no longer used as the CPC. If the back-box is earthed by the face-plate screws then so will be the connected conduit but this is not a requirement although, as I said, most people think it a good idea.
Agreed, as far as it goes - but, I suppose to be pedantic, faceplate screws presumably do count as exposed-c-ps and, in the absence of a directly earthed backbox, they won't be earthed in any way if the accessory is, for example, a plastic light switch.

Kind Regards, John

True but I think 'most people' in that situation would connect the CPC to one of the back-box fixing screws at the very least.

Just to clarify what I have been trying to say, I just taken the face plate off the hallway passage switch and taken a photo.

Note as I said earlier its an old style back box with no earth terminal and the screws aren't earthed as I got confused and I was remembering a socket face plate and not a simple light switch face plate.
I was thinking of drilling a hole in the corner of the back box and tapping so I can put a screw in it and connect the floating earth lead to it but I am not sure if it is worth the effort or not now ?

20180829_230252.jpg

I've yet to encounter a metal back box without an earth terminal.

Ha.

The above crossed Gazzer's post....

Just to clarify what I have been trying to say, I just taken the face plate off the hallway passage switch and taken a photo. ... Note as I said earlier its an old style back box with no earth terminal and the screws aren't earthed as I got confused and I was remembering a socket face plate and not a simple light switch face plate.
Ah it looks as if the box is held in with plaster/cement rather than 'fixing screws' - so, so much for EFLIs suggestion (with which I agreed)!
I was thinking of drilling a hole in the corner of the back box and tapping so I can put a screw in it and connect the floating earth lead to it but I am not sure if it is worth the effort or not now ?
If it's a plastic switch going on there, then that would probably be the only way of doing it. However, to tap a hole you'd have to drill significantly into whatever is behind the box, so why not just drill into the wall through one of the existing holes, put a wall plug and screw into that hole and use the screw to attach the earth wire?

Kind Regards, John

I've yet to encounter a metal back box without an earth terminal.

Ha.

The above crossed Gazzer's post....

I suppose when mine were put it, it was standard for the CPC to be the conduit so it wasn't deemed necessary to put earth terminals on the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back