Consumer unit - Start over again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

As part of an extension there is a need to add some extra circuits. Just had a look inside the consumer unit, and it looks like someone has been, er, "busy". Is it best to add circuits to this or start again? Cost is no issue as I've already blown the extension budget a long time ago! :)

upload_2018-8-1_18-14-54.png

upload_2018-8-1_18-15-14.png

upload_2018-8-1_18-15-35.png

Sponsored Links
It's very untidy but there's not that much in there really.

You have two spare ways at the moment.
That should be adequate.

How big is the extension?
Unless massive you could just extend present circuits.

As part of an extension there is a need to add some extra circuits. Just had a look inside the consumer unit, and it looks like someone has been, er, "busy". Is it best to add circuits to this or start again? Cost is no issue as I've already blown the extension budget a long time ago! :)
There are a few things there which need attention (the worst of which, I would say, is all that bare copper showing on the incoming feeds to the Main Switch - which will remain live even when that switch is off) - but, apart from that, I would personally say that it is no 'busier' than the majority of modern CUs (perfectionists would make them look much 'prettier'), so I see no reason to 'start again'. It looks as if you probably have capacity for a couple of additional circuits.

Do I tke it that there is some sort of 'blank plate' in the cover where that 'gap' is currently in the middle?

Kind Regards, John

As already said those incoming main tails (far right) need re-terminating so there isn't any (or minimal) copper on show, they remain live even when the main switch is off so i wouldn't advise poking around in there. You also seem to have a 2.5mm T&E fed from a B32 MCB (4th MCB from the left), that needs downgrading to a 16/20A. Also the main neutral cable (big blue cable top right), does the insulation look like its melted slightly or is that just my eyes? Also doesn't look like its fully home in the terminal either so I'd be inclined to check the tightness of that connection and ensure its fully in the terminal. Other than that I don't see any need to change the board, you have RCD protection to all circuits and two spare ways on the board for your new circuits assuming that's enough for what you need, you could ask the electrician if he could tidy up the wiring inside and swap out that 32A MCB for a lower one, shouldn't take more than an hour. I've certainly seen far worse consumer unit wiring than yours so i wouldn't worry too much.

Sponsored Links
It could be for just one socket so no problem.
... and it could perhaps be for an immersion or suchlike (although that wouldn't need a 32A OPD) - which, again, could be OK. A photo of the cover (with labels) would be helpful.

Kind Regards, John

As already said those incoming main tails (far right) need re-terminating so there isn't any (or minimal) copper on show... you could ask the electrician if he could tidy up the wiring inside and swap out that 32A MCB for a lower one, shouldn't take more than an hour.
If there is no upstream isolator, what could take more than an hour might be waiting for 'the man from the DNO' to come and pull the cutout fuse so that those tails could be re-terminated.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all.

• Extension is big(ish). Link to build is here. Planned new circuits were, extension radial, kitchen island radial, shed/summerhouse.
  • No blank plate for the gap :(
  • Think that's actually 1.5mm on the 32A. For the lights on the ground floor. Think I'll change that!
  • Neutral to the busbar looks to be just slightly chewed, not melted.
  • Circuit labels below, they were put on by myself when we moved in as as nothing was actually written on the consumer unit.

upload_2018-8-1_20-25-56.png

At the very least it needs taking apart and reassembling correctly - the MCBs not being level suggests they are not actually attached to the rail, and there should be no gap between any of them and the RCDs and main switch.
The incoming tails are poor, either cut far too long or are about to fall out of the terminal.
The spare space needs to be filled with one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-mcb-blank/5390p as live parts are exposed through that hole in the front cover.
The arrangement of the circuits could be better if you are keeping it, all the lights are on the left RCDs and all the sockets on the right.

If you really want a new one, then a metal one with main switch and RCBOs would be a better choice, however there is nothing wrong with the existing one that couldn't be fixed easily and cheaply.

Could be wrong but have some of those cpc wires, with green/yellow tape wrapped around, been cut short then extended by adding extra lengths.

Is it actually attached to the wall? Neither of the top two mounting screw holes appear to be used.

It took me a while to realise, but most of the back of the CU is missing. Perhaps it's secured somewhere else.

The lack of top fixings is me, I had to pull the CU forward to install the framing behind it to bring the wall forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back