Consumer Unit with unshrouded busbars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the unshrouded busbars in this recently rewired Consumer Unit just bad practice or against the regs?
(The mods are for extensive monitoring of a solar install, hence the multiple DIN rail pulse counters).

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
what make is it? maybe you can get replacement busbar covers.

I take it that your busbars are isolated when the main switch is off, and are inaccessible when the cover is fitted, so this is not what I would call a dangerous installation.

Note that the upper screws on the main switch are always live. Some brands have sliding plastic shields for these.

what make is it? maybe you can get replacement busbar covers.

I take it that your busbars are isolated when the main switch is off, and are inaccessible when the cover is fitted, so this is not what I would call a dangerous installation.

So what's the point of the cover then ?

NA

Sponsored Links
one of the points of the cover (of the CU) is to make potentially live parts inaccessible to the householder in normal use.

It is not uncommon for potentially live parts to be exposed if you open equipment covers when they are switched on.

JohnD,

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I need to check if the Solar Inverter is a self-islanding type. If not, then the busbars can be live with the main CU isolator off.

Yes, you said it "householder" this a domestic situation and the manufacturer fitted the cover for a reason.

Don't you agree ?

Regards.

NA

I don't understand your point.

The OP referred to unshrouded busbars. Do you mean the the unit has no cover, as well as no busbar shrouds?

I read it as meaning that when the cover was removed, he noticed the lack of shrouds.

I would like to think John meant there is no immediate danger, with the consumer unit cover in place.

But the consumer unit has been designed to have a shroud fitted over the busbar, so it needs one. You can see on the sides of the unit where a plastic shield should be fitted.

Have a look around the place, in case it's been left lying about.

Not seen a television screen shaped consumer unit before. :D

Is the job unfinished?

I see there is a piece of trunking lid missing, and the lid of a meter also missing. :confused:

sparkwright, nominally finished - the covers are off for a first inspection.
From the comments received - some work to do before the install is really finished.

One thing to add, Contact the supplier and tell that the PES meter in place is currently spinning backwards due to the Solar/PV panels that are installed.

The busbar shield is just a nicety. Though I would ensure one was fitted on mine, just to be nice.

But to get to the view in the picture you have to remove four screws. To remove the busbar shield, you put one finger at each end and gently pull. This is therefore not a critical safety component.

I really don't get why it's there, based on the above.

A further point of concern, unrelated to the busbar covers...

Are those small grey cables ELV/data/sensor cables from the metering system to some form of data recording device? If so, is the insulation on them rated for the highest voltage present in the enclosure? They may need to be oversleeved or replaced with something more substantial for the installation to be truly compliant.

The busbar shield is just a nicety. Though I would ensure one was fitted on mine, just to be nice.

But to get to the view in the picture you have to remove four screws. To remove the busbar shield, you put one finger at each end and gently pull. This is therefore not a critical safety component.

I really don't get why it's there, based on the above.
Because sometimes during testing and fault finding you have to have the lid off with the CU live. Having barriers blocking access to live parts significantly reduces the risk of accidentally touching a live part during that procedure.

Sponsored Links
Back