Consumer Unit with unshrouded busbars

A further point of concern, unrelated to the busbar covers...

Are those small grey cables ELV/data/sensor cables from the metering system to some form of data recording device? If so, is the insulation on them rated for the highest voltage present in the enclosure? They may need to be oversleeved or replaced with something more substantial for the installation to be truly compliant.

They will be the switch live to and from the timer switch. Its and E7 setup.

Sponsored Links
I would have agreed that for a type tested distribution unit called a consumer unit all parts have to be approved by the manufacturer as complying with the type testing and all protective covers supplied by the manufacturer must be fitted. This is why in theory we are not allowed to fit other manufacturers parts inside a consumer unit because they will not have been included in the type testing.

However the Electrical Safety Council in their best practice guides state that missing protectors on buzz bars of consumer units should not be coded and also this is it seems not in the UK.

So although I personally consider it wrong I don't think one would have much chance of forcing the company to correct the work.

Sponsored Links
Back