Consumer unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20191217_233335126.jpg
do you need to have metal consumer unit now or is this ok

Sponsored Links
If you have a new one it will be metal but you don't have to.

Not a dictatorship yet.

Last edited:
Isn't the case of that isolator the wrong way up & haven't they sealed the wrong side (though I can't see why either side needs sealing as it is after the meter.)?

Sponsored Links
Isn't the case of that isolator the wrong way up

The isolator is just a Wylex 100a dp switch, if it was in a dB it would be fed from the top, what’s the difference here?

Yes they have sealed the wrong side, as in this case the bottom is designed for end user access.

The isolator is just a Wylex 100a dp switch, if it was in a dB it would be fed from the top, what’s the difference here?

Yes they have sealed the wrong side, as in this case the bottom is designed for end user access.

The SWITCH is the right way round (i.e. up for on), the CASE is the wrong way round (the switch can be fitted into the case either way round).

The idea is that when the isolator is in the off position, you can remove the small cover for access to the consumer unit tail connections without exposing any live parts. The way this one is fitted, even with the isolator switched off, removing the large cover to access the CU tail connections exposes live parts.

Last edited:
DickyMint,
What is the back story?
Why are you asking if you need to have metal consumer unit (which you likely don't)?

I notice that it was last inspected Aug2019.

Has someone (incorrectly) told you that you now need to change it from plastic to metal?

SFK

Last edited:
Good grief you load of barrack room warriors would have a bl***y field day in my house if you came to look. My fuse box still has wired fuses I have absolutely no idea what the house wiring is like and until I win HUGE on the lottery I certainly cannot afford to get a spark in to check it all out. At the moment it is all working and I don't smell smoke and I cannot be ar**d to listen any leccy bods when they come here and start sucking air through their teeth anyway.

Apart from "because the rules says so..." why do new CUs have to be metal but new smart meters in plastic are allowed. And what evidence (I presume there's lots) to demonstrate that plastic CU enclosures have been the primary cause of house fires; or is this regulation in existence because someone thought it might be a good idea.

Apart from "because the rules says so..." why do new CUs have to be metal but new smart meters in plastic are allowed. And what evidence (I presume there's lots) to demonstrate that plastic CU enclosures have been the primary cause of house fires; or is this regulation in existence because someone thought it might be a good idea.
The London Fire Brigade suggested it and, for some reason, the IET jumped.

IF CUs were the cause of some fires then it would because of loose connections and nothing was done to address this with better product terminals.

The requirement was for "non-combustible" CUs or enclosures. No definition was supplied.
Steel was mentioned as one non-combustible material and that was taken as the only acceptable material.

It really was remarkable how quickly the manufacturers made that the only option.

You might wonder how many they have sold since that one sentence was written.

And what evidence (I presume there's lots) to demonstrate that plastic CU enclosures have been the primary cause of house fires;
Plastic enclosures do not cause fires. It is the lack of competence of some people who undertake electrical work that results in bad connections that can lead to fire. The idea of a non-combustible enclosure is to inhibit the spread of fire, rather than add to the flames which is what many plastic enclosures can do.

These are the regs for the domestic side of the meter. It would seem that the meters themselves can stillbe made of plastic, maybe because it has been found that smart meter installers are so talented that there has never been a single incidence of a fault or a problem following a smart meter installation.

PS It wonderful here in my parallel universe. And nearly time for my special pills....:LOL:

The crazy thing is that the regulations have always required 'non combustible' enclosures for such things as junction boxes, and there is a regulation BS 476: Part 4 defining what is meant by 'non combustible', which clearly allows the materials used by e.g. pattresses, to be used. So the only reason that metal CUs became 'required' was because the electrical parts vendors saw an opportunity to take advantage of peoples timidity, when they made claims to be the only way to conform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back