Containers for screws and bolts

Make sure that your shelf us close fitting and has a lip around the edges (it only needs to be 5 to 10mm high). Screw a chain plate staple at either side of the shelf:

View attachment 250524

and use one (or more) of these :

View attachment 250525

to keep the boxes in place as you go hare-arsing round country lanes

The sizes of screws you get depends on the jobs you are doing. At one time I bought a big Spax selection which was about £50 at the time and just added to it over time (mostly Spax, Reisser and ForgeFast screws). On the one hand for structural stuff you'll find sizes 5 x 50/70/100 and 6 x 70/100 very handy, whilst door ironmongery requires 3 x 12/16/20/25 and 3.5 x 12/16/20/25s in BZP finish. For kitchen work I have a selection of Hospa screws, small angle brackets, Euro screws, shelf pins, door knob screws, csbinet joiners, etc. As I said - different kits for different tasks, and everyone has different screw needs

They didn't sell the brands u recommended had timberfix
20211116_110659.jpg

Sponsored Links
The little lift out tubs work quite well. If you want ensure that you keep everything in the tubs when you take them out of the van, stuff some bubble wrap or foam in the tops of the tubs whilst you are transporting them. Recently I was doing a lot of locking out - so limited tool kit required - and I had 3 or 4 tubs in my tote and half my tool kit in a rucksack (a rare luxury for me, that, I often have to have to carry half a tool shop round the site because of the "whilst you are there, could you just..." phenomenon)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it make a huge difference with brands of screws?

Got bungee on shelf
20211117_120232.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Come on Keitai, you've had your fun now, admit that this is a wind up.

Although I've put a couple of those Fatmax cases on my Christmas list, so not a total waste of time!

Does it make a huge difference with brands of screws?
Actually, yes. Some of the stuff I get issued with is complete rubbish, so for my own projects I spend a bit more and get decent screws whichere the heads don't snap off, the recesses don't burr out, etc. There are some pretty good screws on the market, like TurboGold, ForgeFast (Torx drive), etc without going to Spax or Reisser. but some jobs require specific screws - which is why I use Hospa on kitchens

I've had 50 jam jars in the Transit for a few years now.

Speed bumps can be problematic and I'm still trying to lose the 3 stone I put on emptying the jars, but otherwise not a bad idea

upload_2021-11-17_21-44-32.png

Actually, yes. Some of the stuff I get issued with is complete rubbish, so for my own projects I spend a bit more and get decent screws whichere the heads don't snap off, the recesses don't burr out, etc. There are some pretty good screws on the market, like TurboGold, ForgeFast (Torx drive), etc without going to Spax or Reisser. but some jobs require specific screws - which is why I use Hospa on kitchens

Bought this lot and it was £76 . I'll put a few containers and rest in box in garage incase the organiser gets all messed up again (highly likely).
16372417642814321977841826084461.jpg

For storage once the boxes are shot I use Chinese takeaway containers, see through, waterproof, with lids, stackable and you can use a permanent marker to identify the contents.

What's recommended selection of nails ?
Depends on what you are doing. For handyman stuff you probably needca selection of 2 or 3 lengths of panel pins, oval nails (1in, 1-1/4in, 1-3/4in, 2in and 2-1/2in unless you are making up frames), galvanised roofing clouts (for roofing felt) and maybe some masonry nails. Buy other stuff as and when needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back