Containment for island electrical points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an island as part of my kitchen coming in a few months but am getting it wired in preparation now.

The island will have a fridge (left hand unit), dishwasher (right hand unit) and hot tap and waste disposal unit (center unit).

Is it best to leave a coil of cable popping up through the floor and worry about it when the kitchen arrives and adapt the runs then or install flexi conduit and boxes now?

Also is it best to have 2 double sockets mounted within the center cupboard feeding all appliances or a double in the center and then a single under/behind the units to each side?

Sponsored Links
The dishwasher and hot tap (I guess it’s a Quooker?) will both need a fair amount of current. Add the fridge and you’ll probably want a socket or two for kettle, etc.
In my opinion, the island deserves a circuit of its own.

What did you have in mind as “a coil of cable”?? That’s a very broad church indeed!

I was going to leave a coil of 2-3m for the spark to have some movement when the kitchen is installed to locate the points. He can cut it back to suit.

The electrician has the island as part of the kitchen/utility loop which consists of

Fridge
Freezer
Washing Machine
Tumble Drier
Dishwasher
Wine fridge
Extractor
Quooker hot tap
Food disposal unit
4 double sockets

They have specified a ring with cable size of 2.5mm and rated B32.

Sponsored Links
The electrician has the island as part of the kitchen/utility loop which consists of

Fridge
Freezer
Washing Machine
Tumble Drier
Dishwasher
Wine fridge
Extractor
Quooker hot tap
Food disposal unit
4 double sockets
That is a lot of load for a single 32 Amp ring final.

Worth considering two 20 Amp 4mm radials to the island.

I was going to leave a coil of 2-3m for the spark to have some movement when the kitchen is installed to locate the points. He can cut it back to suit.

Quooker hot tap

They have specified a ring with cable size of 2.5mm and rated B32.
For what it's worth, I've known several of those taps, May not be Quooker brand, be decommissioned/removed fairly quickly as 'not worth the effort'.
I have no experience myself so can offer no help as to why but my daughter doesn't use the boiled function, in fact powered down.

In my opinion, the island deserves a circuit of its own.

With an island that big there may not be much else in the kitchen which may not deserve a circuit of it's own.

I'm finding the fashion for an island is now taking over from trad kitchens, one in particular I visited recently has a big fridge freezer, has to be 8ft (2400mm) wide and 3 units assembled on site, the rest is a huge totally square island (no one can possibly reach the middle) and a significant wasted space behind the units. Lady of the house complains about the amount of walking round it all the time but still seems to be very proud if it.

I will modify my suggestion to use 2 RCBOs instead of two MCBs with a common RCD
yes, me too
With an island that big there may not be much else in the kitchen which may not deserve a circuit of it's own.

I'm finding the fashion for an island is now taking over from trad kitchens, one in particular I visited recently has a big fridge freezer, has to be 8ft (2400mm) wide and 3 units assembled on site, the rest is a huge totally square island (no one can possibly reach the middle) and a significant wasted space behind the units. Lady of the house complains about the amount of walking round it all the time but still seems to be very proud if it.
Not a love island then?? :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back