Contract for new roof job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum Members,

I will be getting a new roof in the near future. I have received a detailed quotation from the roofer that describes in detail the work that will be done, material that will be used and the cost. I am happy with all aspects of the work and the relevant costs.

The job is quite expensive - well over £10K (as can be expected). Do you recommend that a formal contract be signed between me and the roofer? If yes what aspects should it cover?

For smaller jobs I would not bother and would bank on the quotation and email communication in case disputes arose. But for a job of this size maybe a more formal agreement is necessary?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
On the pics in your other post you show two roofs, three stacks and a parapet, and a couple of abutments. Perhaps show or explain more plainly the full extent of the re-roof area - just what is to be quoted for?

The majority of slates in a re-roofing can be re-used. Stay with slate.

You have to go in the loft and judge the condition of the rafters etc.

You have wood fascias.

Probably no insulation in the rafters.

All flashings to be re-newed in lead.

Abutments and parapet (re-build territory) are presumably adjoining the neighbours property.

Your insurance, his insurance, his scaff and skip(s).

You could always get a written quote and post some of it here for comment - but if you dont go with that roofer, pay him for his time, dont just use him.

I am glad you are happy with the quotation you have received. I hope all goes well.

There are sample general building contracts here which may give you some pointers in what you may need in a contract with your roofer or builder should you decide a contract is necessary.

http://www.fmb.org.uk/find-a-builder/free-contracts/download-contracts/

The F220 form is the main item, and other consumer-related stuff on the site may be of use too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back