New Roof leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our roof reslated about three years ago. 12k it cost with a ten year guarantee. Water has seeped in via both chimneys ever since. We gave it about 2 years for the original dampness from the old roof to dry out but it got worse. We got him back about 6 months and he says he replaced the top half of the leading on both chimneys which he admitted he had not replaced initially as it appeared fairly new.

Since the recent storms the leak is worse and causing the plaster to bubble. The roofer says the chimney and its proximity to a dormer is at fault and not his responsibility.

There is no mention of these two points in his quotation so presumably he is at fault but how do I go about proving this? by the time a surveyor has erected a scaffolding to go up there, remove slates to see what's going on I could be paying someone to put it right.

Both chimneys have chinese hat type rain covers and appear to be without cracks in the render. The dormer has been there perhaps 50 years and presumably hasn't leaked since it was built so I don't see why this problem can't be solved.

Is there a type of surveyor who specializes in this sort of work? Should I pay another roofer to put it right rather risk a prolonged court case from which both parties often lose out?

Yes, of course it's up to me but just thought someone might be able to give some guidance.

Sponsored Links
If the work done by the roofer has caused or contributed to the leak then he is at fault

If he denies this then you would have to prove his negligence, and this would normally be via an independent expert's report, and not just from another roofer.

Normally you would invite the roofer to accept the findings of an independent survey, and if he is found to be at fault then he also pays the costs of the survey and report

If you paid on finance, then contact the finance company. If the warranty is via an independent firm then contact them

If the work done by the roofer has caused or contributed to the leak then he is at fault

If he denies this then you would have to prove his negligence, and this would normally be via an independent expert's report, and not just from another roofer.

Normally you would invite the roofer to accept the findings of an independent survey, and if he is found to be at fault then he also pays the costs of the survey and report

If you paid on finance, then contact the finance company. If the warranty is via an independent firm then contact them

Thanks, Woody, that's really useful. When you say 'invite the roofer to accept...' presumably I could send the roofer an email with words to this effect?

'The findings of an independent surveyor'. Any ideas on how to find such a surveyor? I have contacted a couple of building surveyors locally and they have not been much help.

Finally, the surveyor will probably have to remove slates and will no doubt want a scaffold. Costly business, and what are the chances of the roofer paying up if he's culpable.

Of course you can't answer these questions with certainty and ultimately it's a risk I may have to take but I'd like to gain as much knowledge as possible before deciding what course to take.

Are you saying the roofer has now walked away and is unwilling to assist further?
The 10 year guarantee - is this an insurance backed guarantee?
Are the roofers members of a recognised trade association, e.g the NFRC?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the roofer has now walked away and is unwilling to assist further?
The 10 year guarantee - is this an insurance backed guarantee?
Are the roofers members of a recognised trade association, e.g the NFRC?

He says the leak is my responsibility. The guarantee, though we have a written quote, is verbal and he is not as far as I know a member of a recognized trade etc.

We chose the roofer mainly because he was reccomended by a convincing sorce in a position of impartial authority. I don't want to be seen to be criticising anyone untell/unless I'm sure of my facts. Thanks for your interest.

I would press him to give you a more detailed explanation of what he thinks the problem is -
the chimney and its proximity to a dormer is at fault and not his responsibility.
this is not a good enough explanation in my opinion.

It does sound like a historical damp chimney problem, but the roofer should have been able to advise better.

You'll be hard pressed to get a surveyor to shed any light if it's a roofing problem, you certainly won't get one willing to go up on the roof and start pulling things up! they generally refer people to a professional roofing company.

Feel free to message me your details, and I could take a quick look, later next week if you like.

We have had a similar problem with a roofer. We were on the brink of taking him to small claims court before he agreed to partially redo our roof. If you get a survey done, you need to get a particular type which is admissable in the small claims court (look on small claims website). If you don't get one, then judge can make you pay jointly for an impartial report.
Even if you win, you don't know if you'll get the roofer to pay up. Also, a lot of the insurance backed 10 year guarantees are not any use in a situation like yours because they only apply if the roofer goes out of business.
Our roof has just started leaking again. If you've got legal protection on your house insurance, they will advise you if you have a reasonable claim.

Thank you BethesdaSlate for tracing and mending the above leak promptly, efficiently and at a reasonable price.

An extremely neat leading job; am particularly impressed with the ventilation system added to allow the damaged area to dry out. Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back