Controlled heated room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im after some advice on what the best way is to build a controlled heated room that can maintain 70 oc for a certain period of time, ie. 3 hours?

Room size will be 8'W x 12' L x 8' H

Building the room would be no problem but what would be the best way of heating it and controlling that heat so that it doesnt go -/+ 5 oc

Could infrared lamps be used?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hmmmmmm . Not growing some illegal plants now ?? are we??

Hahaha no guys. Nothing illegal.

I run a vehicle restoration company and have just purchased a flocking machine.

Electrostatic flocking is used extensibly in the automotive industry for coating window rubbers, glove boxes, coin boxes, door cards, consoles, and dashboards. Rally cars usually have their dashes flocked to reduce reflections and to provide an as new finished to a modified dash.

The adhesive on the substrate has a curing time of 3 hours at 70 oc or 24 hours at normal room temp.

Problem is i need a quick turnaround so the 24 hour rule is out of the question hence why i want to build a controlled heated room.

What would you suggest as a heating source?

Kind regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
+/- 5degC would be no problem for an electronic thermostat, in fact variation down to 0.5degC would be easily possible, that is probably less than the variation inside the enclosure unless you use circulating fans.

Heat loss calculations will provide the power required (kW) to raise and retain the enclosure at the desired temperature.

What fuels do you have available - gas, electricity - and does the enclosure have to have heaters for hazardous areas to comply with legislation (ATEX/DSEAR)

Dunno if this will help you but we use some raw materials that are very viscous at RT and solid at outdoor winter temp so we built ourselves a heated warehouse, where they are kept at around 30 degrees and so permanently molten. The heat is supplied incredibly simply and reliably by three column water heaters just like vertical electric kettles, knocking out 7kw of heat into the pipes that circulate through the concrete floor. 30 degrees would get you halfway there but with the mass of the concrete it takes a long time to warm up and cool down, while I guess you need space heaters for instant heat.

Hi all

Im after some advice on what the best way is to build a controlled heated room that can maintain 70 oc for a certain period of time, ie. 3 hours?

Room size will be 8'W x 12' L x 8' H

This is 70 degC, not 70 degF, so it is more an oven than a room temperature set-up.

Sectional cold room (polystyrene insulation sandwiched between plastic coated steel panels, clip together to form the enclosure), electric resistance heaters, thermistor temperature sensor controlling the heaters through a solid-state relay. Have a search for cold room/hot room suppliers.

Are there any requirements for ventilation, air filtration and/or humidity control? I'd anticipate heating solvents to 70 degC in an enclosed space could be hazardous. Aren't there heated enclosures for curing car paint available?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back