Controlling a double socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, is there a controllable double socket available?

One that I can either set times on (and lock the adjustment off) or control by remote or lock on/off ?

I want to be able to remove power from one room completely when certain
troublesome persons get banned from the computer again.

The socket is on the ring & in a partition wall using a std drywall backbox.

Links to suppliers & suggestions appreciated (apart from a clip round t'ear :D )
Cheers,

Sponsored Links
I have not used them (but other products of theirs), but the device HE109 from www.homeeasy.eu can be controlled via a remote control.
However, it also has buttons on the front, so you would have to put something like the baby lock (in a recent post on the forum) around the switch.

However, why not just use the baby lock? Would make the culprit feel even more naughty then.

What do yu mean by baby lock?
searching for these either brings up the little plastic plugs (easily removed) or sowing machines :D

A link would be excellent.

Cheers.

EDIT: I want something that can replace a double socket, not something that can be plugged in & easily removed by the kids.

Sponsored Links
How about feeding the socket via a fused connection unit and simply taking the fuse out when you don't want them to have power?

What about setting up a password on the PC?

Once they are logged in they can change it.

Set up two accounts - one for you with admin rights, and one for the troublesome person without admin rights, both with passwords. Then you can disable their account when necessary.

HI, is there a controllable double socket available?
Don't be silly.

I want to be able to remove power from one room completely when certain troublesome persons get banned from the computer again.
Confiscating the keyboard and mouse will take far less effort than any realistic and safe way of cutting the power to the room.

Cheers folks but I do want to do it via the main supply, because we want to be able to stop the Xbox & TV at the same time. I currently have the IEC lead but here are so many of them around the house its not hard to bypass.

Even some form of lockable cover would be useful.

Excellent, thank you.

That may well be just the thing. :D

We decided in the end that just changing the IEC leads for brightly coloured ones (instead of the normal black) and removing them in the evening should suffice for now. Will look into further technical solutions if he starts abusing things again.

You could use a remote controlled adaptor. I use this set up to control a small night light in our bedroom via a wireless switch.

Plug with flex into a large adaptable box into which you wire the wireless adaptor. Make a cutout on the adaptable box lid so you can plug the appliance into the controlled socket.

Thus, you plug in the adaptable box into the wall socket, then the appliance into the controlled socket, then use the RC to switch on and off as desired.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...nu_Index/Remote_Controlled_Sockets/index.html

what about clip roud ear - worked on me :(

Been tried, cost me a dishwasher to get er indoors & the kids back t'other xmas. :D
This is working well enough, which reminds me he's supposed to have turned it off & bought me the cable... lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back