Conversion advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post, looking for a bit of advice.

We are having our detached garage converted and they have used a Eurocell roof.

We've just realised that they have tie wires which are really low - less than 6ft from the floor. We thought they were just temporary while they were doing the building work but it turns out these are permanent.

One of the tie wires even goes through the top of the bathroom door.

Does this sound right? It looks a bit dangerous to me, never mind unsightly.

I've uploaded a couple of pics.

Thanks very much
IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0606.jpeg

Sponsored Links
What's a 'shirt'? Yes, building control are involved. Not sure if they have seen this yet. Presume not. Do you think they won't allow it?

A shirt is a garment usually of cotton for the upper part of the body. You could hang them on the tie wires:D
These 'tie wires' are a new one on me. You want at least 2m headroom . Wires going through a door opening :eek:

Sponsored Links
Ah yes I see, thanks :D
I thought it was a building term of some kind lol.
I understand that these tie wires are more normally used on a conservatory to stop the roof spreading but surely they can't expect us to keep these low wires. They could injure someone.
Are there building regs about head clearance?
Thanks again

No they aren't beginners. They are a really big local conservatory company with a building division. Everything has been really professional so far, including all the drawings and planning. Maybe there has been a monumental mistake somewhere.

As it's Eurocell, I presume you have some sort of plastic/ tile effect roof, and they have just lined the inside. This type of thing is all the rage with conservatories, and these light-weight ties are used to brace the otherwise flimsy plastic roof. This may be acceptable and hidden on a conservatory, but not in a garage conversion to a habitable space. No f'in way.

You should have been informed about this right from the start, because then, as now, you would naturally tell them that you don't want this nonsense and would like a proper designed roof.

You'll have to chat with them and see what the initial design, specification and your contract says. If they are part of the roof design, then you can't remove them as if the roof then does spread, it will be your fault and not covered by warranty.

As it's Eurocell, I presume you have some sort of plastic/ tile effect roof, and they have just lined the inside. This type of thing is all the rage with conservatories, and these light-weight ties are used to brace the otherwise flimsy plastic roof. This may be acceptable and hidden on a conservatory, but not in a garage conversion to a habitable space. No f'in way.

You should have been informed about this right from the start, because then, as now, you would naturally tell them that you don't want this nonsense and would like a proper designed roof.

You'll have to chat with them and see what the initial design, specification and your contract says. If they are part of the roof design, then you can't remove them as if the roof then does spread, it will be your fault and not covered by warranty.
Thanks for this. It does not say anything about having tie wires in the original design or contract or original specification/ drawings. They are not shown in the plans. What's the best approach with this? Any suggestions? Is there building code to say that there must be space above a certain head height?

There is no building regs for height other than for around stairs.
I really can't believe they have done this a think it's acceptable for a habitable room.
Building control will have issues with, apart from the stupidity, among maybe other things:
You have no fire protection on those ties.
It's a thermal bridge

If these ties where not pointed out to you before you undertook the conversion and they are not on the plans then you may have grounds for action.
A new roof will be needed and as such the work inside will have to be redone.

@Fefster Could I have permission to use these photographs in a presentation, it will be internal and are unlikely to be published. If possible could you also take some images of the external elevations.

There is no building regs for height other than for around stairs.
I really can't believe they have done this a think it's acceptable for a habitable room.
Building control will have issues with, apart from the stupidity, among maybe other things:
You have no fire protection on those ties.
It's a thermal bridge

If these ties where not pointed out to you before you undertook the conversion and they are not on the plans then you may have grounds for action.
A new roof will be needed and as such the work inside will have to be redone.

@Fefster Could I have permission to use these photographs in a presentation, it will be internal and are unlikely to be published. If possible could you also take some images of the external elevations.

Is there no way the ties could be re-hung so that they follow the slope of the roof rather than run across?

What's the best approach with this? Any suggestions?
Whilst normally something of this nature (a structural tie) would require encasing for fire protection, in this case being an external garage conversion, the risk may be deemed minimal, thus acceptable in that context. Similar story for the potential thermal bridge, so potentially no help there in terms of building regulations. But you should ask the inspector all the same.

But in terms of a customer expecting a habitable and useable space then it falls down flat. No-one would expect this stupidity running across a room they are going to be living in. The designer/builder would be expected to know this, and so this would be significant enough to have to point out to you before hand. The ties are only there because of their chosen roof design, no other reason.

So you would have an argument for the design being unfit for your purpose, with potential breach of contract based on unsuitability. You would need professional legal opinion based on what you specified and what the designer/contract stated.

Whilst normally something of this nature (a structural tie) would require encasing for fire protection, in this case being an external garage conversion, the risk may be deemed minimal, thus acceptable in that context. Similar story for the potential thermal bridge, so potentially no help there in terms of building regulations. But you should ask the inspector all the same.

But in terms of a customer expecting a habitable and useable space then it falls down flat. No-one would expect this stupidity running across a room they are going to be living in. The designer/builder would be expected to know this, and so this would be significant enough to have to point out to you before hand. The ties are only there because of their chosen roof design, no other reason.

So you would have an argument for the design being unfit for your purpose, with potential breach of contract based on unsuitability. You would need professional legal opinion based on what you specified and what the designer/contract stated.
This is really helpful and I greatly appreciate the advice and the time you have taken to give it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back