Conversion floor board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have engineered wood floors in a room upstairs. Long boring story, but we need to buy some more wood. From what I can tell, it's an age old problem. We can match the veneer, width and thickness, but not the joining edge.

Our solution is to buy a pack of boards and hire a carpenter to make some "conversion boards": take some of the new boards and change one of the sides to match the old board. We would need about 3 or 4 such boards.

Is this possible? a good idea? there is a subfloor, so the boards wouldn't need to hold any weight.

Sponsored Links
here is a pic of the board.
new.jpg

It may be easiest to put the boards facing groove-to-groove and fabricate a tongue to fit in both. 50% chance the existing boards are the right way round for that!

How does the profile differ?

is there any offcut or boards in the loft under the stairs behind the bath they will be handy for the man who is machining to match

Sponsored Links
you could do something either with a bench circular saw or maybe a biscuit cutter?

You don't want me near a circular saw... :) I neither own one or plan to buy one.

I could do the groove to groove method, but I imagine that wouldn't be as good as you would have a low integrity piece in the system (why have two pieces + one weak piece). I don't know. I am the furthest thing from a carpenter.

As for the profile of the wood, I am not sure what you mean, but we haven't purchased the new wood yet. But there is plenty of wood on the market the matches everything except the connecting mechanism. and the tongue and groove are simply shaped. My question is really whether it is likely that a carpenter could/would fashion me three or four conversion boards.

you say you want a carpenter to adapt some boards thats far far easier in a workshop
hence looking for an offcut off the original board to take to his workshop saving a large part off the cost by halving the journey time and 1/3 less work
if you are expecting him to come and measure go to his workshop to adapt then fit
your probably talking around £100 plus material

Yes, indeed, I have a spare board. That was my plan: take an original board and some of the new boards to a carpenter's shop, he chops, and I leave smiling.

It sounds like this is very doable. Now to find someone to do it...

offcut=a bit off the old profile you want it adapted too
keep in mind if the txg is misaligned they may have to remove the tounge and fit a false tounge iff the groove is facing on the old board
or fill and remachine a groove iff the tounge is facing on the old boards
so make sure you mark the old edge to fit too

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back