Convert MR16 to GU10, one at a time or all together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is almost exclusively lit by MR16s and its time to switch over to GU10 LEDs.

Can I convert each lamp individually as the MR16s blow or does it have to be done as a job lot? Each lamp has its own transformer.

With thanks

Sponsored Links
MR16 refers to the type and size of the glass - Multifaceted Reflector x eighths of inch.

GU10 refers to the connector pins.

So, no you cannot swap MR16 for GU10.
Your confusion is understandable as manufacturers do not know either.

Yours will likely have GU 5.3 (mm.) pins.
You could remove the transformer and change the holder for GU10 (mm.) and use 240V lamps IF the light fitting is suitable.
I don't know if this will result in less blowing of the lamps.

Or just replacing the MR16/GU 5.3 lamps/bulbs to LED will very likely cure the problem.
If the lamp/bulbs are blowing more often than not, problem is quality of lamp/bulb.

Or just replacing the MR16/GU 5.3 lamps/bulbs to LED will very likely cure the problem.
If the lamp/bulbs are blowing more often than not, problem is quality of lamp/bulb.

Swapping over the lamp holders and removing the transformers is not a problem. I suppose what I am asking is can one room have both low voltage and 240v bulbs running at once or do I have to convert them all at the same time?

Sponsored Links
You can change them one at a time. That won't matter.

Technically 240V IS low voltage. Up to 50V is extra low voltage.
Manufacturers do not know this either.

Providing the lampholders are exchanged and the transformers removed, that are feeding the lamp/bulb. It will be okay.

And they if they are controlled via a dimmer switch it may require replacing in order to operate with led's.

Regards,

DS

You could remove the transformer and change the holder for GU10 (mm.) and use 240V lamps IF the light fitting is suitable.
i.e. a big 'IF'.

Basically, sadders, unless you know that the luminaire was designed to be used at either 230V or 12V, depending on the type of lampholder fitted, the only safe thing to do is to swap the whole unit.

It's a bit of metal. Do you really think swapping it for another bit of metal exactly the same with a different sticker on it is going to increase safety?

I don't know what the construction of his ELV luminaires is.

I don't know if they have provision for a cpc which they might need at LV.

I don't know if more than one cpc connection would be needed because of multiple parts not effectively connected together.

I don't know if they would adequately enclose the flying leads from a GU10 lampholder if those were unsheathed.

Unless someone knows for sure that swapping the lampholder and running the light at 230V instead of 12V is absolutely safe, and that if the modified light were to be sold in that state that it would comply with all the necessary safety standards then the only advice they should give is "swap the whole thing".

Actually my common sense is switched on.

Do you know what the construction of his ELV luminaires is?

Do you know if they have provision for a cpc which they might need at LV?

Do you know if more than one cpc connection would be needed because of multiple parts not effectively connected together?

Do you know if they would adequately enclose the flying leads from a GU10 lampholder if those were unsheathed?

And I mean know - absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, KNOW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back