Replacing downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Our house is lit entirely with downlighters, mostly Halogen MR16s but I've replaced the ones in key areas like the hall with LEDs - along with their transformers.

Over the years a number have failed because the electrician didn't use fire rated enclosures (renovation was around 2003 so is it possibly they weren't a requirement then?), neither did they secure the connblocks down so the blocks sat over the lamps, over heated and shattered.

How the house didn't burn down I'm not sure.

I'm now looking to replace the rest but it seems it would be much easier to swap the MR16s out for mains voltage GU10 LEDs.

So here's the question: Can I just replace the lamp and lampholder or should I replace the housings as well with fire rated enclosures? I am hoping because LEDs pump out less heat I should not need to.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sponsored Links
HI should be replaced with fire rated down lights or hoods fitted over them.

Fire-Safety.jpg
A fire rated downlight is a recessed light that protects the ceiling from fire after a hole has been cut to hold a new light fitting.

Installing fire rated downlights is only necessary when they are recessed or semi-recessed, rather than surface mounted. This is because it is the hole that is cut for recessed downlights that compromises the fire resistance of the ceiling.

A fire hazard is created by the hole that is cut into the ceiling to hold the downlight. Plaster board ceilings already act as a barrier to fire, but this barrier is compromised when a hole is made for a downlight. This hole becomes a space for the fire to easily move through.

Whilst many electricians now-a-days install fire rated downlights everywhere regardless of whether required or not (as "best practice"), if the room they are installed in is not considered a fire compartment under IEE electrical regulations, they do not need to be. Note that downstairs is usually not a fire compartment in a two storey house.

IMHO a mains voltage GU10 LED would be a better option that messing about with transformers and low voltage MR16 LED lamps

Sponsored Links
GU10 mains voltage lamps fit in MR16 lamp holders. The (electrical) socket does not fit, but these can be changed and the transformer removed from the circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back