Convert part of a coach house garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice! I have a 1 bed coach house, and I'd like to convert the back 2/3rds of the garage into a music studio/man cave. I would leave the garage door as is, put up a wall behind it, knock through a door into the hallway and also knock a door out to the garden. There is already power in the garage so it would just be a case of moving a socket rather than installing any new electrics.

Just want to know where I'd stand on whether I'd need to get planning permission or not?

I am in south west England, UK

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

moderator's note:

What country are you in?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you will need Planning Permission and Building Regs to turn a garage into a habitable space, but it also might come under Permitted Development.
The 'Coach House' label kind of suggests that Planning Permission may be required. You will need to ask to determine the true situation.

However a man cave or music studio could conceivably be not a habitable space.
The doorway from the hallway would probably determine whether it was a habitable space or not.

Last edited:
I also think you may or may not require Building Regs and Planning Permission

are you sure that the building isn't listed?
Doesn't stop everything - just makes it harder

Sponsored Links
By "coach house" I assume we are talking about a flat above a block of garages on a new housing development.

As such if it is classed as a flat it will not have permitted development rights plus there might be a planning condition on the original development removing permitted development rights plus the developer might have restrictive covenants preventing alterations. So some homework to do to check out all those possibilities, however it sounds like a fairly innocuous proposal other than the potential loss of a parking space so permission might be forthcoming.

Thank you so much for all of your replies!

Just some additional information, the property is freehold, and nowhere on any paperwork can I find a mention of it being a coach house, everything says 'house' or 'end of terrace house' both on my mortgage and blurb from the solicitors. And no, it's not a listed building (but yes wessex101 you are entirely correct)

Looking through all the survey paperwork I can't find anything that says there's any restrictions.

There is also plenty of space in front for 2 cars to park.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back