convert sbc chandelier to ses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

It seems the sbc energy saving bulbs i have seen are just plain ugly and big e.g. daft ones saying Tesco on them. My thought are can I just buy brass ses fittings and swap them so making it easy to not buy ugly lights or overly expensive ones?

Sponsored Links
Well, you can if you can find ones with the same fittings.
Seems a bit of a bother.

You could try an electrical shop rather than a supermarket.

Google 'sbc lamps'.

Are the existing ones brass, sometimes they are plastic and although not marked as such they are insulated due to the fact there is no earth continuity. through the arms.
New brass ones will need that earth continuity either through the arm or by cable.

Changing brass for brass can be fairly straightforward
Older fittings have some obscure small threads
If 10mm thread quite common, ses are usually bigger than bc and if white shrouds are fitted they may not fit over the new ones though you can buy larger ones.

Also its recomemended live connection to the centre contact of ses holders

You may find slack on the wires in the centre housing, and i find its usually best to pull a bit through, connect holder and then pull it back in a bit

Hi

It seems the sbc energy saving bulbs i have seen are just plain ugly and big e.g. daft ones saying Tesco on them. My thought are can I just buy brass ses fittings and swap them so making it easy to not buy ugly lights or overly expensive ones?
What makes you think that the base will/should make any difference to the size or labelling of the envelope?

The two are completely unrelated.

I wouldn't think the price would be different, or much different, either.

Sponsored Links
Wrong actually have a look both online and in shops..

If you compare the old non energy saving ses or SBC they both fit nicely into a candle holder (with brass fitting) with only the clear glass visible.

The energy saving SBC ones (be that energy saving or ones with fixed or replaceable halogen fittings) have a much wider bottom and sit on top of a fitting. The ses ones, perhaps as technology is being implemented differently, are near enough the old width.

Now I have surprisingly seen relatively lowish profile energy saving SBC in morrisons but still not optimum. I cannot be alone in having a centerpiece light who thus knows it will be looked at.

Wrong actually have a look both online and in shops..
Sorry - not going to bother going to the shops.

But I can look online.

If you compare the old non energy saving ses or SBC they both fit nicely into a candle holder (with brass fitting) with only the clear glass visible.

LACA40SBCCL.JPG
LACA40SESCL.JPG

Yup.

The energy saving SBC ones (be that energy saving or ones with fixed or replaceable halogen fittings) have a much wider bottom and sit on top of a fitting. The ses ones, perhaps as technology is being implemented differently, are near enough the old width.

LALEC9SBC.JPG
LALEC9SES.JPG

They look the same as each other to me.

LAMSP7SBCWW.JPG
LAMSP5SESWW.JPG

LAMSP9SBCWW.JPG
LAMSP9SESWW.JPG

MGCA7SBC.JPG
MGCA7SES.JPG

Between makes they are different.

They will all be bulkier than incandescent ones - it's the nature of the beast - there has to be somewhere in the base for the electronics.

If you can't find SBC CFLs which are the same size and shape as SES CFLs then you're looking in the wrong places, and not comparing the same makes.

If you can't find CFLs which fit and/or look good in your chandelier then either lay in a lifetime's supply of incandescent lamps while you can, or start looking for a new light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back