Converting 12V Halogen fixture to 230V LED fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a 12V Halogen light fixture that takes upto 5 20W G4 lamps. Inside this fixture is an electronic transformer that supplies 12V AC current to 35W-105W load.

Looking for LED bulbs, I see most of the 12V AC LED G4s are 3-5W, which combined together wouldn't exceed the minimum 35W requirement fo the transformer. While looking for LEDs I came across 230V 5W LED G4s and was wondering whether I can bypass the trasformer and connect the G4 lamp holders directly to mains. I don't know whether the thin wires that come out of the G4 lamp holders to the transformer would handle 230V but from my understanding of Electricity I think it should according to the workings below:

The G4 lamp holder wires are capable of carrying 1.66Amps (20W/12V) - 20W Halogen G4
At 230V the same wires would be carrying 0.022Amps (5W/230V) - 5W LED G4

As it is the Amperage and not Voltage that decides the wire gauge, can I safely assume that this wire can be directly connected to the mains? Or am I missing something in my calculation above?

Sponsored Links
What you don't know is the insulation rating of the conductors that connect the lampholders to the transformer. It might be suitable for 230V, or it might not.

That depends if the insulation can withstand the 230V or not. If not, it'll short to the body of the light fitting, or across the live and neutral.

Sponsored Links
240V G4 LED lamps do exist, as do 240V G4 lampholders. This would be a case of swapping out the tranies and replacing the lampholders. That is if the lampholders can be swapped out?

Do you think I'd be better off swapping the transformer to 0-30W 12V DC led driver? Would the current wires support it because they are 12V AC rated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back