Converting a lawn tractor to propane/electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if my old Briggs & Stratton engined lawn tractor could be converted to run on a Calor gas bottle or to electric from a battery or would the addition of the bottle/battery be too heavy if it was a feasible conversion. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It certainly seems possible:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37386678...MItvuluMm29gIVk-vtCh0eywVDEAQYBSABEgKJd_D_BwE
I'm a little suspicious because these carburettors are actually open to the atmosphere, and how this may affect starting is unclear.
I used to convert Lister D engines years ago!
I doubt if the price of propane will be stable, and you have also the issues of where to store the bottle, of course.
John :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you intend to go electric, you’ll need a motor that will spin at a constant 3600 rpm to be able to use the original cutter deck and transmission......not to mention a large capacity battery!
I think I’d leave things as they are - but use E5 petrol.

It certainly seems possible:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37386678...MItvuluMm29gIVk-vtCh0eywVDEAQYBSABEgKJd_D_BwE
I'm a little suspicious because these carburettors are actually open to the atmosphere, and how this may affect starting is unclear.
I used to convert Lister D engines years ago!
I doubt if the price of propane will be stable, and you have also the issues of where to store the bottle, of course.
Thanks John my searches never brought that kit up, it makes it a simple conversion apart from my concern over the weight of a bottle of gas strapped to the machine somewhere. I'll was thinking of removing the bonnet & fastening one above the engine but I think that might be a bit unsafe. Perhaps hanging it on the back where the grass collecting box would go might be feasible.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks John my searches never brought that kit up, it makes it a simple conversion apart from my concern over the weight of a bottle of gas strapped to the machine somewhere. I'll was thinking of removing the bonnet & fastening one above the engine but I think that might be a bit unsafe. Perhaps hanging it on the back where the grass collecting box would go might be feasible.
i suspect in this ever-changing word we will be in for perhaps 5 or so years chasing a cheaper fuel solution will be counterproductive as demand for cheaper fuel sources then inflate those prices as things average out to make all fuel sources very close with little difference per therm or horse power so any cost to convert will soon be wasted money as no fuel will be cheeper unless fully within your control and supply but as most dont have a power source or massive fuel source under your control its not an option ??

You won't save much by running it on LPG at the moment the price is horrendous.

Peter

Back