Converting a storage unit into usable space.

Joined
8 Oct 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -
I'm looking for some advice on the best way to batten out the inside of a metal storage unit (see attached photo).

The walls have existing vertical metal rails with slots/holes running along them. I'd like to attach wooden roof battens vertically over these rails, essentially using them as spacers to create a framework for boarding out the inside.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid drilling or screwing into the existing metalwork, as I don't want to damage the unit or compromise its structure.

I've considered self-drilling screws, cage nuts and various clips, but I'm wondering whether there's a fixing that could utilise the existing holes in the rails, preferably something that can be fitted entirely from the front without needing access behind them.

Has anyone done anything similar, or can recommend a suitable fixing or alternative method?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
1791451265299.png
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top