Converting an outhouse into flat-UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to buy a house soon and in the garden of this house is an outhouse which the previous owners had used as music studio. It has a working toilet in it.
i am thinking converting this into a seperate residence/flat for hosting Airbnb or keep tradional tenants.
It doesnt have a gas boiler or gas supply going in. The outhouse is located within 10 meters of the property itself

With regards to gas, i think its probably better to have a seperate supply/meter to avoid complications.

Im posting this to see what the process would be for this? can any qualified builder qualify for this or do i have to get British gas to dig up the garden/road to lay down the supply? Will the supply split at the point of where my gas meter is? (The outhouse has electricity from the house but we would need its own meter as well)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am looking to buy a house soon and in the garden of this house is an outhouse which the previous owners had used as music studio. It has a working toilet in it.
i am thinking converting this into a seperate residence/flat for hosting Airbnb or keep tradional tenants.
It doesnt have a gas boiler or gas supply going in. The outhouse is located within 10 meters of the property itself

With regards to gas, i think its probably better to have a seperate supply/meter to avoid complications.

Im posting this to see what the process would be for this? can any qualified builder qualify for this or do i have to get British gas to dig up the garden/road to lay down the supply? Will the supply split at the point of where my gas meter is? (The outhouse has electricity from the house but we would need its own meter as well)

Gas and electric will depend on the demand from the dwelling and the size of the existing supply. And, what you intend to include in the dwelling i.e. boiler, immersion heater, shower, cooker etc.
Routing new supplies will be costly.

I'd always seek the help of an architect or designer/technician. Planners will also need an application as it will be a new address with refuse bins, parking and postal deliveries etc.

I'd always seek the help of an architect or designer/technician. Planners will also need an application as it will be a new address with refuse bins, parking and postal deliveries etc.
Unless you live in Labour controlled Newham where every second house with rear access seems to have an outhouse with people living in it. You can tell what streets have them as to avoid detection, they dump their refuse at the end of the street in the middle of the night rather than have 20 bin bags regularly coming from the same house.

Gas and electric will depend on the demand from the dwelling and the size of the existing supply. And, what you intend to include in the dwelling i.e. boiler, immersion heater, shower, cooker etc.
Routing new supplies will be costly.

A boiler, shower, cooker, fridge would be minimum requirements as a self contained rental property. With regards to the routing is this something that only National Grid can do or would any would local qualified builder be legally able to do so?

"planners will also need an application"...sorry, do you mean the local council and planning permission?

Sponsored Links
Unless you live in Labour controlled Newham where every second house with rear access seems to have an outhouse with people living in it. You can tell what streets have them as to avoid detection, they dump their refuse at the end of the street in the middle of the night rather than have 20 bin bags regularly coming from the same house.
Not in Newham mate, although the council is Labour controlled.

With regards to the routing is this something that only National Grid can do or would any would local qualified builder be legally able to do so?
Your utilities supplier will advise. Usually approved contractors or their own crews. They will send a surveyor to cost it.

"planners will also need an application"...sorry, do you mean the local council and planning permission?
Yes, Local Authority.

Your utilities supplier will advise. Usually approved contractors or their own crews. They will send a surveyor to cost it.

Yes, Local Authority.

This does indeed sound like the costs will add up.

Are there any cost effective ways of providing hot water/ heating? i guess we could install an electric shower. Maybe an electric boiler may be the best route to go?

This does indeed sound like the costs will add up.

Are there any cost effective ways of providing hot water/ heating? i guess we could install an electric shower. Maybe an electric boiler may be the best route to go?

Insulate, insulate, insulate. Then put in elec heating and an elec mains pressure hot water storage cylinder maybe on Economy 7. Can run shower off this. Small elec panel heaters or night storage poss, sounds like a small space so should be sufficient. Elec not cheapest way of heating space/water, but I suppose you won't be paying the bills.

Last edited:
Hi,

You need a planning application

That’s your biggest hurdle

Hi all. The sale fell through so looks like this will remain a pipe dream. many thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond:):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back