Converting half the garage stud wall problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about converting half of our garage so I can use it as a office. We live in a new build house and the garage is attached to the side of the house and we have access to it from the conservatory.

I would like to do the job myself and have basic diy experience. The garage is breeze block both sides, our house one side and the other side is a neighbours garage. There is a single brick wall at the back. We already have electric in there.

I will keep the outside of the garage the same and divide the garage into 2 halfs. 80% office 20% storage.

I am planning on starting with the floor I was going to use 3x2 on a dpm and use polystrene for insulation. What size would i need 75mm ? Would Kingspan be better. I was then going to use chipboard on top.

The floor is 2.6m w and 3.6m d. I was going to use space the 3x2 out every 600mm.

Does that sound ok?

For the walls I was going to use 4x2 and use celotax for insulation. Do i need to use 100mm insulation as that will cost a bomb or could i use 75mm / 50mm and pack it out with something else? One wall is joined to the house and the other is joined to a neighbours garage. It just the back wall that is single brick.

Once again I was going to space them out 600mm so I could use 1200mm plasterboard.

would 400mm be better.

Does that sound ok so far.

Sponsored Links
I am doing something similarand going with dpm on Walls and floor the 50mm xtratherm on walls secure with 2x1 battens every 400mm. After this plasterboard to ceiling and then the walls. To do the floor I am laying 75mm polystyrene sheets and then 15mm wpb plying top all floating

Hope that helps :)

I am planning to insulate outbuilding walls and was going to use 400mm centres for studwork. Beam analysis software predicts a reduction of deflection of the boards covering the studwork of around 2.4 times if you choose 400m spacing over 600mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back