converting metric to imperial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been on the conversion sites. Seems simple enough but I do not believe I am doing it right. So would someone take pity on me and help me out. These are the measurements :-

These are a few of the measurements and would give me something to go on for making them inches.

Sponsored Links
I have been on the conversion sites. Seems simple enough but I do not believe I am doing it right. So would someone take pity on me and help me out. These are the measurements :-

0.210 - 8.26771
0.075 - 2.95275
0.010 - 0.393700
0.003 - 0.118110

These are a few of the measurements and would give me something to go on for making them inches.

Sponsored Links
It helps to have some approximate conversions implanted in your head:

25mm or 2.5cm or .025 m approx = 1"
therefore 50mm approx = 2"
75mm approx = 3"
100mm approx = 4"
etc
300mm approx = 12" or 1 ft.
600mm approx = 2ft
etc

1.2 m approx = 4ft
2.4m approx = 8ft

this is why timber comes in 300mm increments not exact as said above but the nearest metric to imperial equivalent
timber used to be sold in foot increments
7ft= 2.1 8ft= 2.4 9ft= 2.7= 10ft= 3m ect

if you want to be a bit more accurate you need to add 1.7% to the metric so 2.1=2.135.7 2.4=2440.8 although this is slightly inacurate but cant be aarrsseedd with another 2 decimal points :D
your appromixmatly an inch short every 5ft so a 3m worktop may only be 9ft 10" but in fact are often imperial so 3048mm

Might sound a daft question , but why do you actually need to convert?
I use imperial and metric and quite often use both at once, for example when measuring I'll work to what comes out best so I may have a piece of ply measured at 15" x 250mm and if my tape and rulers had qubits I'm sure I'd use them too :D

Might sound a daft question , but why do you actually need to convert?
I use imperial and metric and quite often use both at once, for example when measuring I'll work to what comes out best so I may have a piece of ply measured at 15" x 250mm and if my tape and rulers had qubits I'm sure I'd use them too :D
I always smile at measurements that like big-all mentions with the 3048mm long worktop are converted for no real reason. At college I made loads of doors at 1981mm tall, number just picked out of a hat or a 6' 6" converted measurement?

Bother I've just quoted myself rather than edited :oops:

Once when editing a post I nearly clicked on "Ignore"
Why is that there, why would I want to ignore myself?
:eek:
Don't answer that :!: ;)
Perhaps save the advice for that Mmancunian. Sorry, a bit of a stammer there. ;)

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply. Ladylola made me laugh as I usually do something similar. I can believe large amounts but when it becomes tiddly its important to visualize it.
So 0.010 is 0.39 which what? an eighth, sixteenth
" 0.003 is 0.11 " "

Working on the approx conversions in your head:
12mm is approx ½" (12.7mm to be exact)
so 10mm or 1 cm or .010 m is approx ⅜" ( ⅛" = .125" so ⅜" = .375")

6mm would be approx ¼"

To be exact: 25.40mm = 1"

Don't overlook the .40, if you do, over even short lengths you will end up compounding with noticeable errors - such as 2 foot will be almost 10mm shorter than you would expect. 2 feet = 609.6mm NOT 600mm!! The longer the length the larger the discrepancy. :(

Just look at your tape measure if you are unsure - mine has metric and imperial on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back