Converting to a sealed system.. Help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to convert my conventional system to a sealed system and the only place that I can place the expansion vessel is in the cylinder cupboard that is in the centre of the house. Can I run the PRV pipework vertically up into the loft and then along to the outside, or do I have to pull up all my carpets to keep it horizontal.

Sponsored Links
Keep it horizontal..........but you can put the PRv pretty much anywhere you like, it does not have to be in the airing cupboard with the expansion vessel. Have you checked your boiler is suitable for a sealed system?

Yes it is a 30 CDi. So please explain.. I will put the expansion vessel in the airing cupboard, how then do I put the PR valve somewhere else. I need a mains supply to fill the system (airing cupboard sounds good for this) does the pressure relief valve not need to be near the rest of the pressurising kit.

No it does not, like you say you need mains water near by but the expansion vessel can be remote from the PRV

Sponsored Links
I am also thinking... to reach the loft space is only about 6-7ft up from the cylinder, surely 3 bar would climb this height easily. Is it a definate no to do it this way.

By doing this conversion would it benefit me in getting heat around the house a little quicker than a conventional Y plan system. I am thinking yes, is that correct.

Henry Patel said:
I am also thinking... to reach the loft space is only about 6-7ft up from the cylinder, surely 3 bar would climb this height easily. Is it a definate no to do it this way.

Many poeple do it, but it is a no no, and I certainly cant advise you do it that way..........

why not run some 15mm pipe from the airing cupboard to your loft space, tee it into the system and have the PRV itself in the loft.........that way your discharge pipework will have a fall on it, the correct way.

Henry Patel said:
By doing this conversion would it benefit me in getting heat around the house a little quicker than a conventional Y plan system. I am thinking yes, is that correct.

If your Y plan configuation is correct the answer is no. You will not notice any significant difference whatsoever.

Mr Harrogate I am thanking you. that is what I will do. I will T into the return pipework in 15mm in the airing cupboard and run that into the loft space and install it there. My God sometimes the answer is so very simple.
Thanking you very much sir.

No problem, while your at it put the expansion vessel in the loft too then it leaves your airing cupboard free for the usual junk.

Remember though you will no achieve very much by sealing the system if it already configuered correctly.....infact it can cause more problems in that it can find leaks you never knew you has (usually in unaccessable places!)

It was a new system about 2 years ago so I know the pipework is all very good. I just have a very short loft space and my house is on different levels (4 floors) so there is not much height for the heading tank. I have moved it up as high as I can but I get a bit of blow over from the vent pipe. I have turned the pump down but it then gets very lazy at heating up the rads. I thught sealing the system would solve this problem. would you be agreeing with me.

Yes it sounds like it would but if the system is only two years id be calling the builders to sort it for free as it sounds like the system is configured incorrectly.

Or a cheaper way for you would be to combine the cold feed and expansion pipe.

Run a 22mm pipe from the central heating header tank and tee it in just before the pump. this does away with the expansion pipe and in essence your system is sealed without the need for sealed system kits.

Sorry Mr Harrogate the house is 30 years old the central heating is 2 years old. The heating was very good until I added 2 very tall Towel warmers radiators 1800 X 600, the top of these is very near the ceiling so the distance from them to the header tank is not very big. My loft is only really tall enough to crouch in so I can't raise it any more.
would this still be the correct thing to be doing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back