converting understairs into a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on converting the space under my stairs into a bathroom. The mains electric and ,eter are here, are there any regulations as to how far the sink / toilet has to be from the electrics?? Is there any special requirements for boxing them in??

Any info or where to look would be great!

Thanks x

Sponsored Links
Yes, lots and they come under part P regs. Go the the ODPM site and search on Zones.

The zones are not governed by distance from a toilet or sink, they are governed by distance from a bathtub or shower basin.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks.

I read through section P and still am not that much clearer on what is actually disallowed.

Under my stairs I have the mains electric and the fuse box.I am wanting to put in a sink and a toilet. I won't be having any electrical points in the bathroom other than the standard light pull. Do I have to do anything to the mains box (eg special housing etc / get it moved) or can I simply box it in. It wouldn't br directly under the basin but would only be about half a meter from it, does this effect any laws?

Thanks again, lynsey x

It is only a bathroom if it is a room specifically containing a fixed bath or shower.
If it is say a bedroom containing a fixed bath or shower then whilst not being a bathroom, much of the same rules apply.

But containing a lavatory hand basin and/ or toilet does not make it a bathroom so those rules do not apply.

Similarly containing a sink often means it is a kitchen (but not always).

It sounds as if you space under the stairs is just a WC area or wash area so those rules do not apply. But you might consider if supplentary bonding is appropriate (even though not mandatory to the regs unless the LHB/Sink is so blooming big you can bathe in it)

However, due consideration must be given ref splashing, wet people of increased risk of shock etc.

Cover and/or locked doors will probably be appropriate.

I must admit "Fixed" bath or shower gets me! Unfixed could conceivably be as dangerous methinks.

cool, that's great thanks.

Cleared things up for me. I was thinking that that is the way it is but my dad's a jobbing builder (doing basic electrics) and was adamant I wouldn't be allowed to do it- oh I do like being right!

Since renovating this house with him I've realised that he's a tad stuck in his ways and won't listen to anything I say! I'll be able to put him to work now!!

Just hope the first person to use it doesn't electrocute themselves!!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back